1. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Beguiling metaphorical fugue-ing of images. Thank you, Mubi!

2. Robert Howard's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

I think the strobe effect is a gimmick. I lasted about 7 minutes through this. 2 stars instead of 1 because I might be wrong, but I don't think I'm missing any profound cinema for bailing early.

3. caitlin.f's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

4. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Wow! Super trippy head massage. Don't resist it... just flow into it...

5. Tyler Barton's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Not my personal taste - it may be your's though, so give it a try.

6. Rhonda Johnson's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

I think I was just programmed to kill. Seriously, this was interesting for about 5 minutes as an experiment, but soon began to hurt. Perhaps it would be better to see projected in a theatre in complete darkness.

7. Lexi Bass's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

The technique is certainly hard to watch (and I am an epileptic), but partially because of that that it's possible to slip into a meditative state as the images nearly reveal themselves. It's really a pretty amazing experience when you get there. I think El Biffo is right about watching it on a projector as intended and not on a screen.

8. bodhishin's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Visually demanding. Definitely not recommended to those prone to seizures, The music added well to the film's experience.

9. ShawnD's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Words that come to mind: Intense, hallucinatory, vaguely disturbing. I'm not sure this would have held my attention for much longer than 15 minutes, but I'd be interested in what the filmmaker had to say.

10. Zac Weber's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

The wonderful and evolving match on action shots speak for themselves without the use of the abrasive flashing light. Viewers are urged to submit themselves to the dream-like fluidity of the images while they also constantly resist the uncomfortable strobe. As a work of art, perhaps this effect is successful. As a cinematic experience, Sea of Vapors is off-putting.

11. filmcapsule's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

A cross between the "strobing" montage of Godard's Histoire(s) du cinema and the ghostly-images-seared-into-your-retina "hypnogogism" of Brakhage. The imagery seems to suggest a dark dream-state, but was too on the nose (water, sun, eyes) to be menacing and effective.

12. Ben Loory's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

took a real act of will to get past the annoyance factor but once i did there were some nice floaty moments

13. Peter Lewis's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Pure cinema cinema of dream and sensation

14. Yakkup's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Not my cup of tea, the flickering of Images was interesting at first. As soon as I realized the strobe effect would continue throughout this whole film I became irritated. I understand what the director was trying to do. The concept of compiling these images to look like many different objects begins to create an optical illusion. Do not watch if you are sensitive to strobe effects.

15. Birfday Boy's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

16. David R Williams's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Like falling into a reality that flickers in and out of existence.

17. jim in austin's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

I had to bail early on this one. I found the stroboscopic effect to be quite distracting. Could be a seizure trigger for some. Lovely imagery though, those few odd moments I could focus on it...

18. Chunkino's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

I so wish there wasn't so much flashing, I wanted to really absorb the images. Ocular migraine.

19. Dallas Swindell's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

An exhausting and demanding experience. I wish that I had a projector to fill a room with the pulsing, flashing images to get the proper viewing experience. Still though, even on just a television in a dark room SoV is a highly expressive work that invades personal space in a way that seems both expansive in tone and content but confined in form and creation.

20. Randy Brunick's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Amazing visual intensity; I was drawn in like a moth to a flame, awash in curiosity. Both my mind and my eyes in constant wonder.

21. Daniel Fox's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Epileptics beware. Everyone else- watch this with headphones in the dark on a full moon.

22. JulianLazare's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

I believe I have very little say when it comes to films like this. They are art, and in my opinion art is subjective and criticizing art would only make me seem snobbish. I enjoyed the usage of black and white images strobe lighting upon each other. It created be beautiful movement, and didn't allow my eyes to settle for a second. However it's not for everybody (especially those with epilepsy!).

23. Barbara Ann O'Leary's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

Fantastic! Can't wait to see more of her work.

24. El Biffo's rating of the film Sea of Vapors

This film really demands projection, in my opinion. Not only doesn't it look right on a computer screen, it is annoying. The flickering images need to be flickering "out there", up on a large screen, in a darkened room, not flickering into your eyes on a computer screen. I watched it projected, and it was lovely. 3.9 stars.