1. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Secret Defense

Not a great Rivette. Felt like an overlong Claude Chabrol film.

2. luisquintais@gmail.com's rating of the film Secret Defense

In Secret Defense, Hitchcock meets Dostoyevsky and Lévi-Strauss to make an hypnotic and mesmerizing exercise about love, death and deceiving.

3. Laura Suffield's rating of the film Secret Defense

Enjoyable if not exactly "Rivetting" (sorry). A deliberately unthrilling thriller but curiously watchable for the train sequences and Bonnaire's performance. The plot is extremely thin and doesn't add up to much.

4. Richard Doyle's rating of the film Secret Defense

An immensely strange film from Rivette. On the surface it's a thriller, but it's 3 hours long and really has about as much plot as you'd expect from a film of regular length. The build up to what action there is is drawn out to incredible lengths without really attempting to build up suspense. This will all make it sound like I didn't like the film, but I liked it a great deal.

5. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Secret Defense

Ufff this is the equivalent to reading a great novel. Intricate and intelligent, wonderful!

6. Stevie's rating of the film Secret Defense

Fascinating, slow-burning thriller from Rivette with Sandrine Bonnaire turning in another fantastic performance. The train scenes are indeed beautiful and expertly shot.

7. morrisgarola@gmail.com's rating of the film Secret Defense

Beautifully shot, poorly written, insufferably slow, and magnificently acted by Bonnaire. Loved the scenes that take place in the different trains!

8. Nancy Stark's rating of the film Secret Defense

Really well done, she's amazing, in command. Beautifully shot.

9. Michael Schmidt's rating of the film Secret Defense

It would be tempting to dismiss this film as an ode to French rail transportation--just to sound clever--but in fact it is a very gripping drama that keeps one guessing.

10. NEIL's rating of the film Secret Defense

I really didn't like this film, it was slow, the plot was half baked, characters unsympathetic, every thing was without purpose and maybe that was the point, a cinematic nihilism.

11. Cheryl's rating of the film Secret Defense

Overwrought drama not without some style and verve. The two leads could easily have been played by Isabelle Huppert and Gerard Depardieu and were a bit two dimensional - she the strong willed, long strides, closed mouthed and not to be courted woman and he the mysterious lady's man. I kept wishing there was something more here. More sustenance and less style. Less pouring and drinking of wine and keeping of secrets.

12. El Biffo's rating of the film Secret Defense

Not too long! Beautiful. I enjoyed all 168 minutes. I like watching Sandrine Bonnaire walking around, having her morning coffee, and Rivette shoots her beautifully, making what could have been an ordinary thriller into a character study. She also starred in Rivette's JEANNE LA PUCELLE, 5 & 1/2 hours, and it was great. Granted, I had the luxury of watching these films in pieces, half in the theater, and half at home.

13. Michael Goetz's rating of the film Secret Defense

Other than the length, there is very little here that suggests Rivette's style. Still, this is an excellent thriller-drama. The first hour is the best, everything in constant motion leading to an accident that sets the tone for the more contemplative remainder of the film, in which various buried secrets are gradually revealed. Spending three hours with the great Sandrine Bonnaire is always welcome.

14. Ethan's rating of the film Secret Defense

A very good thriller that keeps you engaged throughout with plenty of twists and turns along the way.

15. Kevin's rating of the film Secret Defense

A little movie called Up Down Fragile grabbed my attention some years ago, and I have sought every Rivette film since then. Like Visconti, the longer the better when atmosphere is one of the main characters. Take the time, it is worth it..

16. msmichel's rating of the film Secret Defense

Overlong and somewhat over indulgent but with beautiful cinematography by Lutchansky..... in other words a film by Jacques Rivette. Here Rivette and company turn their eye to the thriller genre with this tale of siblings discovering revelations about their fathers death five years before and confronting the man who may be responsible. Could have been told in half the time. Bonnaire is just wonderful here.

17. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Secret Defense

This is a movie that should be boring, but it isn't. Rivette has a way of generating interest in the littlest of things. The tension here is like a screw being tightened. There's always a feeling that everything is about to explode. It's very hard to explain the appeal here, but I dig this one a lot.

18. REH1101's rating of the film Secret Defense

I enjoyed it, but you're in denial if you think this had to be any longer than an hour and 40 minutes.

19. Jason's rating of the film Secret Defense

I'm still right: absolutely 100% the greatest European film of the 1990s.