1. Lauren Ginn's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

The latter half of this film is astounding. The demonstration of connectivity and openness is so raw and at times difficult to watch. The first third, however, is tedious at best and needs more of an emphasis on the other worlds this fragmented family comes from.

2. DebraM's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Re-watched this after many years and it's still one of the most exceptional films ever. The way Leigh uses the camera (those lingering shots) offer so much detail and depth to the dialogue. And it's a cast who are up to the task - especially Brenda Blethyn who is sublime.

3. Ethan's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

This is one of Mike Leigh's most powerful films. This is an intimate portrait of a family hanging on by a thread and trying hard to stay together. Leigh had a natural ability to show the intimacies of emotions and people that are more than complex.

4. Krish sanghvi's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Sometimes I wish somebody would give me a book titled “everything you don’t know about yourself”. Or something titled “every thing you missed out on, that could’ve really happened”. The past can be frightening, but who remembers what hasn’t happened? Sometimes I wish I could choose my past, things I wanted to remember or forget. And Sometimes I wish I could just look at the clouds and forget everything.

5. MarkF's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Can't beat a good old kitchen sink saga

6. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

7. tinderness's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Die Eskalation der Wahrheit und der Gefühle in einer Familie, tabuisiert und furchterregend, führt hier auf den Weg der Heilung, in aller Fragilität. Das tut gut und gibt ein Stück Zuversicht für alle, die es wagen möchten und für die es noch nicht zu spät geworden ist. Ein sehr sensibler, unaufdringlicher und mutiger Film.

8. 丹尼斯's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

9. Tone Ottilie Frederiksen's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

There are some amazing scenes, some moments of brilliant performance and I was quite moved. There are some things in Mike Leighs style I don't like though (over the top acting, characters who seem to do things in order to move the plot forward, bordering melodrama) but he makes them work in this film.

10. Aaken's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Sweetheaaaaaaaart.....

11. lbunuel's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Fine film, charming, good-natured, empathetic. But it lacks Leigh's usual eye for the "larger world" around the characters, the abstract concepts that elevate films like Naked and Another Year way above your usual slice of life fare into a complicated arrangement of ideology, emotion, angst, happiness, and despair.

12. Armina Stepan's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

It's rare for a film maker to care about all of the characters equally. He goes to great lengths to show the child that wants to be loved in each of them, even in the ones that show up on camera for only about 15 seconds. What a masterpiece of empathy and storytelling.

13. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Brenda Blethyn gives one of the greatest performances I have ever seen in a film. It probably helps that Mike Leigh — one of our greatest living directors — is so good with his casts.

14. dordairobert's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

15. FISCHER's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Oeuvre émouvante, d'une délicate présence humaine, magnifiquement réalisée et interprétée, revue près d'une vingtaine d'années plus tard, confirmant bien sûr notre premier "diagnostic" mais avec un certain bémol. En effet, quelques scènes trop longues et certains moments dramatiques surjoués, surtout de la part de Brenda Blethyn et de Claire Rushbrook, tempèrent légèrement l'enthousiasme initial. www.cinefiches.com

16. Jérémy Poirier's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

An unflinching portrait of human relations and malaise in society. It talks about regrets, family and obviously, secrets and lies. I love that there is a comedic undertone. The theme of the mask that each one puts on their face when in society is well illustrated in the photo shoots montages. This film is extremely well cast. Especially Brenda Blethyn and Timothy Spall. A masterpiece that deserves its Palme d'Or.

17. Myles's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

"Sweeeeeeetheart!" I <3 Mike Leigh. This whole movie is like a delicious session of eavesdropping.

18. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

19. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Such a beautiful film! It's a story about the most dysfunctional family you could ever imagine, each of them going about their days bottling up all the sadness and anger, keeping the truth from each other. The 'secrets & lies' that have torn them apart for so long are what bring them together in the end. Superbly acted, Blethyn and Spall deliver especially raw performances. You just can't help getting sucked in.

20. Eka Vakri Riski's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

"So where's the bolt of lightning? Secrets and lies! We're all in pain! Why can't we share our pain?"

21. lowplacelikehome's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

22. Kk Soft Boss's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

23. Marcelo Fornari's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Honest, riveting and brilliantly acted drama. A British classic.

24. TomMackAplin's rating of the film Secrets & Lies

Got me gutting, so that's a plus.