1. Carl Penguin's rating of the film Shadows

2. Trailblazer, LLC.'s rating of the film Shadows

Much respect to Cassavetes, but not my cup of tea. Cinematography & music props (1 star for each).

3. Carlos Tejeda's rating of the film Shadows

Artículo ("Cuadernos de jazz"): http://www.carlostejeda.com/2007_11_09_archive.html

4. Nachtreich's rating of the film Shadows

5. Andreea Serpe's rating of the film Shadows

6. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Shadows

Ahead of its time. This movie is pure liberty in acting, structure and theme -- for its time.

7. Johnny Seeker's rating of the film Shadows

This film is invigorating! Rough around the edges, but, the jazzy score, the cityscapes of late 1950s NYC, and the spontaneous acting are unforgettable. Jazz music by Charles Mingus.

8. MistaRichard's rating of the film Shadows

This was my first Cassavetes, so why not start with his first? Truly fascinating to see how early Cassavetes showed such legendary potential. He basically created cinematic freedom out of pure necessity, birthing a new era for american (and international) cinema. And as if not enough, "Shadows" is also a noteworthy example and a lesson in film for the no-budget filmmaker. I look forward to see his latter work.

9. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Shadows

"THE FILM YOU HAVE JUST SEEN WAS AN IMPROVISATION". Rewatched and re-loved. Cassavetes, a genius.

10. Diogo Pires's rating of the film Shadows

11. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Shadows

12. Histioteuthis's rating of the film Shadows

Probably the like best Cassavetes movie objectively

13. James Mackin's rating of the film Shadows

A film that feels like jazz. Not my favourite Cassavetes, but an enjoyable one nonetheless.

14. Cependant's rating of the film Shadows

15. film_lies101's rating of the film Shadows

Just a revolutionary as Breathless but rougher around the edges

16. senitree's rating of the film Shadows

I saw this movie for a cinema class work to compare to cinema vérité. My conclusion was: "When a camera is present, the truth is just playing with us".

17. Dalibor's rating of the film Shadows

Stylistically anticipating French New Wave, I place it somewhere on-pair with Chabrol's "Les Cousins", expressing a more grim New York setting apart from it's intellectual french counterpart. Less convincing as a figurative piece, but as significant nonetheless, given that much of it's expression can be seen in works of Scorsese ("Taxi Driver" as an obvious one) or Woody Allen.

18. Andrew Sax's rating of the film Shadows

Wonderful Soundtrack, in a great movie, Cassavetes forward 50 years.

19. maría f guerrero's rating of the film Shadows

can see why people love it but i just can't

20. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Shadows

I can see its importance and the affect it must have had back in its time, but independent cinema would be much better made later, often by Cassavetes himself. This isn't to say it feels aged, it actually very much seems ahead of it's time, and remarkably fresh. An important film in it's vision, but a scratchy and unfinished piece of work, feeling like its lacking some part of it, not quite whole.

21. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Shadows

The only Cassavetes I've seen in a theater, and somehow the collective texture of the experience matters.

22. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Shadows

"This film was an improvisation", we're told, which isn't really true, but art is built on such bluffing. Today, it's a film we value more for what it does than for how well it does it: the new freedoms of editing, acting, and subject matter are all here, waiting for someone to take them even higher. But I'd note that in that same year, Sirk tackled similar subject matter in a classical style. And it was better.

23. Marta Donati's rating of the film Shadows

Inspiring piece of filmmaking that is everything but improvised. If it looks improvised, it is because it follows life as improvisation, a flowing, changeable existence devoid of the resolutions and explanations that scripted cinema often bestows upon it. There are almost no clear conclusions to be drawn from this film. A challenging but rewarding experience.

24. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Shadows