1. Diderot's rating of the film Sherman's March

There's something admirable about this kind of stubborn self-indulgence. And Charleen on her own makes the whole thing worth it.

2. Ryan O'Connor (23)'s rating of the film Sherman's March

3. Jack Hoehn's rating of the film Sherman's March

The good: McElwee intricately weaves a portrait of his contemporary South populated by memorable personalities. The bad: He seems unable to think of women through any other lens than his own relationship to them. Though he recognizes this and even draws attention to it (for example by including shots where he "forgot" to turn on his tape recorder) I'm not sure that this recognition is enough.

4. Nicolás Mauricio Bello's rating of the film Sherman's March

una historia de vida intrépida e interesante narrada a través de la travesía de Sherman y su ejercito.

5. Mike L's rating of the film Sherman's March

Ross McElwee creates a documentary that intends to be about Sherman's March, gets sidetracked, and it becomes a documentary about how he himself becomes Sherman in the wake of emotional turmoil. Also, Burt Reynolds.

6. Tor-Finn's rating of the film Sherman's March

I sporadicly puts on parts of this whenever i`m feeling gloomy, and it always makes me very alive.

7. DK's rating of the film Sherman's March

I'm not sure a film-maker's soul-searching schlump through the South, dreaming of nuclear holocaust, lusting after various eccentric women (all while making a pretense of shooting a Civil War doc) is to everyone's taste. But I loved it. Yes narcissistic, but also poignant, funny, and weirdly wonderful. Beautifully composed at times too. People in the Eighties were lonely too.

8. T. J. Harman's rating of the film Sherman's March

9. film_lies101's rating of the film Sherman's March

McElwee can get a bit "Woody Allen" at times, the other characters in this film are hilarious

10. Chris's rating of the film Sherman's March

An exceptional look at attitudes and local flavor in the 70s and 80s South.

11. Edward Copeland's rating of the film Sherman's March

A one-of-a-kind documentary that when you describe it would seem to be an unbearable viewing experience but instead turns into something unique and hypnotic that holds up to repeated returns. http://eddieonfilm.blogspot.com/2010/09/only-important-things-in-life-are.html

12. Benjamin's rating of the film Sherman's March

This film is nearly perfect.

13. Peter Barlow's rating of the film Sherman's March

So intimate, so vast, a world of a life contained within 157 minutes.

14. filmcapsule's rating of the film Sherman's March

Instead of documenting the March, McElwee embarks on his own odyssey, leaving a trail of humor and pathos across the south. He may seem like a pathetic sadsack, and he is, but his candidness and deadpan humor save the film. http://tinyurl.com/4c5vuzk

15. Brett Kessler's rating of the film Sherman's March

Someone fix the title, please.

16. Anton Williams's rating of the film Sherman's March

The unique work. Absolutely beautiful movie!

17. Roscoe's rating of the film Sherman's March

A masterwork, one of the great American films.

18. Jazzaloha's rating of the film Sherman's March

McElwee seems to have created a new genre: first-person documentary-romantic-comedy.

19. Jenni Olson's rating of the film Sherman's March

This movie changed my life when I saw it in 1986. It was my first inspiration to make a film myself (though it would take me many years to actually do that). SHERMAN'S MARCH made me realize that cinema could be whatever you wanted it to be; and as an innovative personal documentary it makes it so clear that the art of storytelling is all in HOW you tell it.