1. Luca Soldati's rating of the film Shield of Straw

Grande thriller al cardiopalma che coinvolge e fa riflettere. La trama è sviluppata molto bene con un ritmo invidiabile, uno sviluppo intelligente e un bellissimo finale. I personaggi subiscono un'ottima evoluzione e riescono ad intessere delle belle relazioni fra loro. Il conflitto morale e le barbarie mostrate sono di forte impatto. Regia ottima, con dei movimenti di macchina ben fatti e una fotografia molto buona.

2. Federico Di Folco's rating of the film Shield of Straw

Ben girato,ben confezionato,ben costruito, ma vuoto,incredibilmente vuoto. Di Miike ha poco o nulla,assassino e poliziotti sono piatti come assi di legno e non c'è mai una scena oltre le righe,con una perenne sensazione di trascinamento. Forse la messa al Festival e una distribuzione migliore hanno condizionato troppo zio Takeshi,che qui è anni-luce dai suoi lavori top.

3. Sơn Nguyễn's rating of the film Shield of Straw

Very interesting idea. But the script isn't well written enough. And the ending isn't "surprise" at all. Really love Takashi Miike, but this movie is a little disappointment for me. I want to rate it 4 star at first, then 3 star, and the ending made me rate it 2 star.

4. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film Shield of Straw

There are moments that made me adore it and others that I wish could be erased. And that went on till the end. For the awkward limbo, I can't give it more than 3.

5. Lucas Granero's rating of the film Shield of Straw

El mundo se desploma: la muerte de un asesino de niñas implica la consecuente pérdida de moralidad, pero también ganar 1000 millones de yenes. Cuatro policías deben cumplir con la meta de llevar al asesino de un punto A a un punto B, luchando contra sus propios fantasmas. La premisa es explosiva y Miike tiene el pulso justo para prender la mecha y mantenernos expectantes hasta la explosión final.

6. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Shield of Straw

A cop thriller that most of time evinced neither head nor tail in its concept. Full Review: http://alwayswatchgoodmovies.blogspot.com/2013/11/shield-of-straw-2013.html

7. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Shield of Straw

8. Andre Rehal's rating of the film Shield of Straw

A standard thriller but Miike really can develop some despicable villains you just can't wait to see get killed. I was kind of hoping for a se7en type ending just for my own catharsis.

9. hastapura's rating of the film Shield of Straw

The train scene is the sort of crisp, terse shootout I was looking for; but the film's a touch too long and the magic cabbie is a silly out. Minor sins though - the scene where Mekari finally loses his shit on Kiyomaru is fantastic and Miike shoots the hell out of every scene.

10. Gondo's rating of the film Shield of Straw

A tale about morality, it's worth and it's price. What do we do as people when faced with the grotesque side of our nature, how do we deal with does "anomalies" in our system. Does disposing of them for the sake of the dead mean anything, what would the dead whisper to us if they had the chance. They would probably tell us to stop this folly. Death can't pay for death.

11. ElTigreNegro's rating of the film Shield of Straw

But of course the cannes press might as well go watch a Godard marathon before ever giving a good comment to a movie which commits the "sin" of trying to be an effective conventional thriller. The final act does go on for far too long, but Miike has crafted an effective thriller, with characters that have motivations and are not just there to yell and shoot at each other.

12. Vinson Gabato's rating of the film Shield of Straw

I really want to like this, I really do. The premise is white knuckle and thrilling but the story is filled with contrived characters and plot points. More annoying is the always repeated moral issue of the film. Like most of the published reviews, it really needs to be trimmed down - remove the monologues regarding to kill or not, you have a competent road trip cum police thriller. Fujiwara is a fun to watch though.

13. flobota's rating of the film Shield of Straw

the cast is not very convincing nor is the plot. of course it's a nice thought experiment and especially the antagonist pushes it to the limit but then again I don't understand why this movie has to be A that long and B in such a conventional dramatic corset. expected more of Miike