1. Luca Angelini's rating of the film Shoeshine

2. Kamran's rating of the film Shoeshine

A heartbreaking venture which called forward the neorealist film movement wherein De Sica became a celebrated figure. Shoeshine at once defines the genre while proffering De Sica with the tools and ideas to be reworked in his later neorealist masterpieces Bicycle Thieves and Umberto D, perhaps the two best examples of the specific post war movement. 89/100 - Excellent. (4.5)

3. Ghostman's rating of the film Shoeshine

A grand masterpiece. One of the best of the Italian Neorealist movement.

4. Luca Casilli's rating of the film Shoeshine

5. Samuel Righi's rating of the film Shoeshine

6. José Neves's rating of the film Shoeshine

7. Amanda A.Costa's rating of the film Shoeshine

De Sica's job in life was devastate hearts. Here we have another powerfull movie from Italian Neo realism, portraying a country destroyed by the war, where two kids have their lifes changed and being affected forever. The end is so painfull, cuts like knife.

8. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Shoeshine

9. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Shoeshine

A bit heavy-handed with the metaphor-laden horse, but still powerfully affecting.

10. Rodrigues Costa's rating of the film Shoeshine

Isn't life itself suffering too?

11. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Shoeshine

De Sica implacable como el posterior Rossellini en "Alemania año cero". Dos niños son protagonistas de una historia que, al igual que "El ladrón de bicicletas", posee un aire optimista que se disipa a propósito de un giro inesperado. Entonces los héroes serán víctimas de todo un calvario. Los sueños se frustran al igual que sus deseos sobrellevar sus dramas. De Sica reflexiona que esto es real estadísticamente.

12. apollonouta's rating of the film Shoeshine

13. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film Shoeshine

os incompreendidos melodrama version

14. nein's rating of the film Shoeshine

None of these enthusiastic opinions you can see below is overdone. It really is a great film and a shining neorealistic example. I hazard an opinion it is a way more powerful film than Rossellini's 'Rome, Open City'. This line stuck in my mind so I'll put it here: "In here they feed us, they shelter us, they give us clothes, and they even entertain us. What else could we want? This is paradise!"

15. James Devereaux's rating of the film Shoeshine

A beautiful & heartbreaking tragedy.

16. Jon's rating of the film Shoeshine

The paramount example of De Sica's mastery in directing children.

17. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Shoeshine

It is so raw and unsparing. It seems to be getting a bad rap today but I think it is an amazing film.

18. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Shoeshine

19. CafeGradiva's rating of the film Shoeshine

20. Ciprian David's rating of the film Shoeshine

Loved Arcangeli, this posture-kid who ran away in the end to clear a scene he fought for the whole film.

21. Henrique Verkündigung's rating of the film Shoeshine

one of the best italian directors ever, this film is tremendously raw and violent but at the same time sica manages to reach into a level of passion in filming, just marvelous!

22. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Shoeshine

Riveting neorealist classic with one of the most powerful endings I've seen in Italian cinema.

23. StellaWasaDiver's rating of the film Shoeshine

Incredibly powerful. Not sure why this one hasn't gotten as much acclaim as Bicycle Thieves. Maybe Shoeshine doesn't get out on the street enough. De Sica sure knows how to get some great performances from children and young actors.

24. Checkpoint Charlie's rating of the film Shoeshine

An all around tragedy, from the poverty on the streets, to the adult criminals who take advantage of the children, to the adult jailers who care for not much else than maintaining their order and not being punished by their superiors, to the strife being in prison brings, until it comes full circle when you decide to further the momentum of the cycle.