1. telemarketer's rating of the film Short Cuts

Originally a set of nine short stories and a poem by Raymond Carver, Altman adapted them into a screenplay. Substituting Los Angeles for the Pacific Northwest backdrop of Carver's stories, the film traces the actions of 22 principal characters, both in parallel and at occasional loose points of connection. As an ambitious homage to an influence and combination of two American creators shines.

2. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Short Cuts

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Short Cuts

Certainement à ce jour, un des films les plus aboutis de Robert Altman, qui maîtrise avec brio ces destins parallèles, avec une virtuosité à vous couper le souffle, à travers un montage lumineux, limpide, frisant la perfection et qui restera pour longtemps encore une puissante et magistrale leçon de cinéma... www.cinefiches.com

4. Madeleine Davis's rating of the film Short Cuts

5. Ike Zwanikken's rating of the film Short Cuts

6. Yumi Kaioh's rating of the film Short Cuts

7. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Short Cuts

julianne and matthews scene is so good

8. astygianelysium's rating of the film Short Cuts

The tenderest scene: Stormy Weathers cutting up furniture while the carpet man shampoos the rug. This is exactly what I want out of romance: two people coexisting, each in his own world. Even when their projects are intrinsically contradictory, the non-reflexive proximity holds strong.

9. James Mackin's rating of the film Short Cuts

I do enjoy these large-scale ensemble pieces showing the interconnectedness of everything, with very large casts. But I wanted Tim Robbins to die by the end, and that didn't happen, so that was a bummer. But yeah, really good movie.

10. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Short Cuts

11. Chris's rating of the film Short Cuts

definitely good, but i prefer magnolia tbh

12. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Short Cuts

This is not just a film. This is REAL LIFE (even better). Suzy, we love you!

13. bartkl's rating of the film Short Cuts

This film understands life. Did you even think about the medfly disaster after an hour? There's always something like that, but everyday life issues take over, always. The humor and absurdity further confirm comprehension of the nature of life, and especially the role of love and its difficulties. It has a wonderful, jazzy style, with deliberate overacting at times and much camera movement. And that beautiful intro!

14. bagno's rating of the film Short Cuts

4,5 (che meraviglioso tripudio di infedeltà coniugale)

15. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Short Cuts

At the risk of heresy, I don't think this is top-shelf Altman. The cast is an amazing who's-who of everyone in indie films circa 1990, and there's a certain pleasure to the way the plot diffuses, with loose ends splayed in all directions. But it's also stretched thin and uneven, with its characters feeling less like complete people than like actors showing off their chops.

16. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Short Cuts

It's a long film, but definitely worth it. Incredible cast of characters and a nice unifying theme. What else could you want?

17. Aardsy's rating of the film Short Cuts

I love the game, but I hate the player.

18. AALC's rating of the film Short Cuts

Powerful storyline. I also liked editing and some movements of camera. Good work!

19. QuincyArthur's rating of the film Short Cuts

Humanahumanahumanahumana ya

20. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Short Cuts

"Virtual reality: it's practically, totally real. But it's not."

21. amelia zhou's rating of the film Short Cuts

its rare to see a film that has such a lingering emotional impact on you afterwards. a wonderful visual narrative on contemporary western life.

22. Jason's rating of the film Short Cuts

I was a teenager when Short Cuts came out, and it was one of my very favorite movies of all time. Like much 90s ephemera one could argue without much difficulty that it has failed to age terribly well. The radical (at the time) investment in narrative interconnectivity now appears to me to stretch credulity (these lives are just a little too cozily interconnected), and too many setpieces degenerate into theater.

23. SpacePirate's rating of the film Short Cuts

Best film of the 90s? Maybe. Lemmon's monologue is crushing.

24. Lance L O T's rating of the film Short Cuts

It might be impossible to know after so many similar films what would the impact of watching this film in 1993 before all the others would have been, still there are many stories and it seems to me the characters are more interesting than the stories themselves and the device of the medfly and the dead woman look to me more interesting than the weaving of stories. The best - obviously - The Planeteers!!! Go Planet!!!