1. elenagallen's rating of the film Side by Side

An educational documentary that glorifies digital cinema, paradoxically acknowledging the frailty of digital storage and recognising celluloid as the ultimate archive of the forthcoming extinct film.

2. MistaRichard's rating of the film Side by Side

"Side by Side" is actually quite one sided towards digital, but it doesn't do so in a dismissive or ungrounded way, but in an argumentative fashion. In fact, it's more of a defense of digital directed at its adversaries; and as that, it does greatly succeed.

3. maría f guerrero's rating of the film Side by Side

4. James Mackin's rating of the film Side by Side

An interesting debate of a documentary.

5. Operation Kino's rating of the film Side by Side

Contains no information the average wannabe film snob hasn't already told you.

6. mpho3's rating of the film Side by Side

A loosely curated amalgamation of different and opposing viewpoints about the world of cinema, both celluloid and digital, Side by Side exhumes the ripple effects that affect everyone from actors and set crew to the post-production teams and audiences. Robert Rodriguez summarizes it best during the film when he says, "Technology pushes the art, and art pushes technology." 3.5 stars

7. keremebrulee's rating of the film Side by Side

8. Ryuu Baron's rating of the film Side by Side

The world needs more docs like this one.

9. Trevor Tillman's rating of the film Side by Side

Vital watching for anyone venturing into filmmaking. I particularly aligned to the subjects who highlighted digital video as an aesthetic choice, rather than a would-be celluloid replacement. The conversation with Richard Linklater around the discipline and pressure of shooting on film being lost with digital workflows ("You can create that if you want it, right?") was particularly inspiring.

10. courtneylesueur's rating of the film Side by Side

I just want to learn how to edit celluloid now.

11. muh.'s rating of the film Side by Side

a nice exploration into the future of cinematography and film using the analog vs. digital conundrum.

12. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Side by Side

Didáctica, aunque su discurso se torna algo aburrido a pesar de su duración de 90 minutos.

13. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Side by Side

Una guía rápida para saber las des/ventajas sobre el celuloide y el cine digital.

14. mjgildea's rating of the film Side by Side

3 1/2 out of 5 stars. An interesting documentary where excellent arguments by equally great directors and cinematographers, etc are made in favor of both digital and celluloid filmmaking. It definitely gives the viewer a lot to consider and many of the arguments actually kind of frightened and saddened me.

15. Khashayar Mohammadi's rating of the film Side by Side

Very interesting information on the evolution of cinematography and therefore, evolution of cinema. Cinephiles will enjoy it

16. Homa-Taj's rating of the film Side by Side

This is a must see for anyone interested in the future of filmmaking - http://museumviews.com/2012/08/side-by-side-with-keanu-reeves/

17. Sunrise's rating of the film Side by Side

Amazing comparisons of cinematic history finally find visual expression via their immediate juxtapositions, where Soderbergh is first viewed, yet Scorsese is the first heard. The disavowed George Lucas is immediately replaced by the overly embraced Rodriguez. These insightful moments of cutting overshadow the otherwise over-explored issue of digital vs film (yet, also the under-explored history of color timing).

18. Jye Sherwell's rating of the film Side by Side

Honestly THAT keen to see this.

19. MostlyDead's rating of the film Side by Side

SIDE BY SIDE is an overwhelming documentary because it goes into great detail on how digital cinema is tightening its grip onto the moviemaking industry as well as the cold truth that film will eventually become obsolete. Hearing the filmmakers and technicians' thoughts on the change doesn't hurt the documentary at all.

20. Sandy Connell's rating of the film Side by Side

Never thought I'd say this but God bless Keanu Reeves (and Christopher Kenneally). The film is no great piece of cinema in itself but it the only examination on film of the turbulent transition that the film industry has been going through since the mid-nineties. A must for anyone keen to understand the ins and outs of the visual craft as the seasons change.

21. porcelainfox's rating of the film Side by Side

This is an exciting documentary about the history and future of film, about the rise of digital filmmaking and projection. We rarely get to see directors express their thoughts through any medium other than film and we rarely get any technical information regarding how films were and are made; this doc provides all of that and brings back the magic of film, urging us to appreciate it far more than we normally do now.

22. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Side by Side

A good look at the digital revolution, the differences between film & digital, and the future of cinema. Surprisingly (and thankfully) doesn't take a side and though my feelings are with film I have to point out how infuriating Lucas and Cameron become as their egos go through the roof in their segments.

23. comeandsee's rating of the film Side by Side

Fascinating, well informed, balanced and swings from one side of the argument to the other, making a convincing case for both. While celluloid is still the golden key for me, it really shows the advances digital can bring, as well as the key role companies like RED like hold.

24. LiG's rating of the film Side by Side

Very good documentary on film vs digital debate. I'm surprised that Tarantino, Spielberg, Jeff Nichols and other pro-film advocates didn't show up or decide to, but eh, at least we got so many others. I wish it was longer.