1. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Sideways

2. Joel Shelton's rating of the film Sideways

An enjoyable but overall flawed road movie. It works on many levels and offers interesting characterization. However, it often feels unorganized and lacks consistency in its direction. I also could've done without the montage sequences. They often felt like wine commercials. Warmly recommended if you have nothing else to watch.

3. Tiago Gonçalves's rating of the film Sideways

That's why I prefer beer. It only makes me think about pissing.

4. Jérémy Poirier's rating of the film Sideways

A sharply written and thoughtful dramatic comedy directed by a master of the genre: Alexander Payne. It is filled with interesting, charming and colorful characters. What makes their strength is that their flaws and complexity makes them more human. Giamatti and Haden Church makes a perfect pair together. I ain't a wine lover but I would have loved a bottle while watching it. "I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!"

5. Joe Hackman's rating of the film Sideways

I love red wine, so this movie struck a chord. Performances are good, but the script takes a while to find its footing.

6. Matthew Catanzano's rating of the film Sideways

A brilliant capture of a time and a place.

7. larsmars's rating of the film Sideways

must be a californian wine commercial

8. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Sideways

Take a good script, let it flow, and you've got a fantastic comedy.

9. senitree's rating of the film Sideways

Negative + Negative = Positive

10. auloel's rating of the film Sideways

11. James Mackin's rating of the film Sideways

I'm not a huge fan of Alexander Payne movies, but this just hits the spot.

12. güneycan's rating of the film Sideways

The 'unfitingness' of the couple adds nothing but even more fun into their chemistry. An exemplary character depiction by Giamatti; hard to beleive that he's not inventing the Miles' posture, his way of climbing of stairs, putting the glass on the table etc. right in front of the camera.

13. Linn's rating of the film Sideways

Just recently thought about how much more difficult it is to make a really good comedy as opposed to almost any other genre. And there it is: Alexander Payne's roadmovie "Sideways", a perfect mix of scenes that will make you fall off your sofa laughing, great observations and contemplations about life in general and wine in particular and a looming melancholy, perfectly embodied by Paul Giamatti. Stellar!

14. Jim Fear's rating of the film Sideways

Basically a story about me.

15. SiIencio's rating of the film Sideways

Epitome of the mid life crisis, a film that gently and without pretensions de-constructs so neatly this conflicting age, a dreaded life inflexion point that Payne elegantly concocts with humour, loss & utter tenderness. It is also a film that seems to have been incubated in time till finding its perfect incarnation, Paul Giamatti, an actor tailor-made for this role, surrounded by a non less brilliant supporting cast.

16. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Sideways

I hate brooding characters ("why is this happening to me... my life is hard" type of stuff) but Paul Giamatti is fun to watch. Its okay to laugh at him and feel for him at the same time. Distinct cinematography by the way has a desaturated colour to it like an old postcard.

17. Ethan's rating of the film Sideways

My favorite Alexander Payne film. Paul Giamatti should have gotten the Academy Award for this film. He more than proves that he can not only carry a film but that his acting is more than on point. Thomas Haden Church holds his own next to Giamatti and two make an engaging duo playing off of each other's weaknesses and shortcomings. Truly a road movie for hipsters.

18. kris's rating of the film Sideways

I watched this before i drank wine and appreciated adult humour. Then 12 years later all grown up! watched it again and laughed my socks off. I guess it took 12 years like a fine wine, enjoy.

19. André Vieira's rating of the film Sideways

Wine. Lots of Wine. Apparently some people are turned on by discussing types of grapes. Elevator Music.

20. SafeStanding's rating of the film Sideways

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this witty movie.

21. Michael Peer's rating of the film Sideways

One of the best comedies ever made. Hilarious, heart-felt, moving, brilliant. The chemistry between all four leads is remarkable. Payne creates a world that is so recognizable that you feel you've known each character for years. A beautiful film.

22. Diego Ravazzolo's rating of the film Sideways

Great vibe and acting, especially from Paul Giamatti: "No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!"

23. Ryan O'Connor (23)'s rating of the film Sideways

24. Hunter Hemingway's rating of the film Sideways

quaffable but far from transcendent.

← Previous 1 3 4