1. Billy Casper's World's rating of the film Silent Running

A great message for a sci-fi film. Ahead of it's time in it's premise but dated in terms of it's look and it's music, even though it's a great soundtrack. Silent Running is a difficult film to rate in a 5 star system without having half stars. As I feel for it's message it deserves 4 stars but for it's acting and visual appearance it probably deserves 3 stars at most? I would've given it 3 & 1/2 stars if I could.

2. nouvelle vague 1960's rating of the film Silent Running

I was lucky enough to see this film with an introduction by its director ,Douglas Trumbull.He went into depth on the making of the film and showed how passionate he still is ,about film making.The film is an early example of an environmentalist movie,where one person is prepared to risk all, to save the "New Eden".Bruce Dern is excellent and the robots(operated by double amputees)are the real stars of this classic.

3. Ryuu Baron's rating of the film Silent Running

Pratical effects Masterpiece and a heartbreaking story.

4. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film Silent Running

1972, dir. DOUGLAS TRUMBULL - 6,5/10 (USA)

5. Henrique Amud's rating of the film Silent Running

I really wanted to like it. The premise is simple and great, Bruce Dern really sold me the character in the second half and Trumbull's got a great eye. But that's it. Too preachy and, I have to say, boring.

6. film_lies101's rating of the film Silent Running

The acting was a bit overwrought, the story a tad preachy and muddled, the effects nowhere as expansive as '2001'. I only had feelings for the drones

7. Blumes's rating of the film Silent Running

"The moment you start preaching in a film. The moment you try to teach your audience - you are making a bad film." -Douglas Sirk (2.5 because Dern was great)

8. Saturday Nightmares's rating of the film Silent Running

One of the best roles Bruce Dern has been in, aside from the "Family Plot" and "The 'burbs". Meet Bruce Dern in person, signing autographs June 3rd-5th at Saturday Nightmares Expo at the Sheraton Meadowlands Hotel in East Rutherford, NJ. See Bruce give his Q&A/Intro to Alfred Hitchcock's "Family Plot", along with Karen Black! For advanced tickets - www.saturdaynightmares.com

9. Deathstare65's rating of the film Silent Running

The solitude of the main character, his determination, the featureless robots that still manage to capture your heart. I loved this movie right away when I saw it somewhere in the late seventies. Yes, this is science fiction in it's truest form and one of the reasons why I became a fan of the genre. Must see, if you can take a movie that is not an orgy of explosions and gunfire.

10. DanPotter73's rating of the film Silent Running

One of the first films I can remember watching (would have only been 7 or 8 at the time) Even now has a great impact on me. Fantastic film

11. matthewlong1985's rating of the film Silent Running

Best Sci-fi ever made. Sentimental and brilliant because of it.

12. Robert Waeck's rating of the film Silent Running

Oh Dewey, you're breaking my heart there.

13. Luiz Souza's rating of the film Silent Running

Maybe the actors didnt feel very convinced by the motivations of the characters (I didn't...). They delivered really poor performances. It is a shame. Could have been a good film.

14. Hunter Duesing's rating of the film Silent Running

A beautiful film that envelopes your heart as you spend time with Bruce Dern and his robot companions in the solitude of outer space. Douglas Trumbull is renowned for his effects work on 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, which wowed with it's visual wonder. Here, Trumbull creates a movie that has a similar effect as 2001, but on an emotional level. The nuance given to the theme is rare in films with an environmental subject.

15. Joseph Wallace's rating of the film Silent Running

I have that song "Rejoice in the Sun" stuck in my head...

16. Pierre's rating of the film Silent Running

So very sad. This is a great role for Bruce Dern.

17. Marshall Staxx's rating of the film Silent Running

The first piece of art/media/culture to ever make me cry when I saw it on TV when I was about 6. Maybe it says something about my cynical and hardened emotional psyche that I cried at the 'death' of a robot in an old sci-fi more than I cried at the funeral of my grandmother.

18. HeadGEAR's rating of the film Silent Running

Saw this film as a kid. Terribly dated, but still intriguing sci-fi film.