1. F/K's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

An off the wall, profound film about the worthiness of Sainthood

2. Luca Angelini's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

3. ammar's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

Allégorie contre le pouvoir et une religion castratrice, menée de mains de maître... www.cinefiches.com

5. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

A much more subtle reflection on faith than I expected. Brook plays him straight, up until the unfortunate ending. It was a bit too heavy handed.

6. dordairobert's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

7. Aardsy's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

Divinity drives you to the disco.

8. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

I concur with others as far as being glad that this film ultimately doesn't drag out too long. I don't know whether I think this film goes far enough as far as critiquing Simon for his self-sacrificial extremity. I also have mixed feelings about the ending, which is metaphorically interesting in a jokey way; but inconclusive in how it deals with Simon's continuing battle with Satan. But definitely worth seeing.

9. ermete polpette's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

10. Luis Pires's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

Four stars for those last 5mins!

11. Corrado Agnello's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

12. smndvdcl's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

An absurdist take on self-imposed martyrdom that only Bunuel's eye, for a certain kind of satire, can really pull off.

13. Nachtreich's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

14. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

An interesting a surreal take on the subject of religious devotion. In a comedic, yet insightful way, the story wrestles with temptation and what Buñuel may have believed to be the pitfalls of the Catholic church's teachings. Everyone that visits Simon--religious or not--seems to have their own stubborn interpretation of devotion; and the juxtaposition of 1960's New York and the 4th Century draws attention to that.

15. Kevin Costner's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

apa-apaan ini ? iblisnya terlalu cantik, pake pamer paha segala lagi...

16. Aaron Dillenbeck's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

Temptation comes from everywhere and it is in our nature to succumb to things we want. This is the message Buñuel gives us with a a darkly comedic undertone. The camera movements were beautiful and the staging of the shots with the desert as the infinite canvas created a nice full image. Very dark, morbid, and morally flawed from the religious viewpoint. No god, says Buñuel.

17. ceknklsn's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

18. B o g d a n's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

Thaïs, exorcizări și bairam; 3.3

19. Tom Vienne's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

20. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

21. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

SOTD is truncated, incomplete, and barely known - but it is the one Bunuel film I continually return to. This has something genuine to say about the falseness of altruism, the relationship between Man and God, and the death of the Enchanted Age. Or I'm reading too much into it. God bless Bunuel.

22. Erik F.'s rating of the film Simon of the Desert

23. lamouchequilouche's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

A sublimely bizarre and very stylish work of art, Simón del desierto marks Buñuel's last film made in Mexico. The cinematography is stunning, and the cast stunning.

24. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Simon of the Desert

Bunuel really doesn’t have a lot of hope for humanity, as has been made evident in the few things I have seen from him. Possibly God’s most disciplined and devoted disciple is seduced by the devil, after years of unending devotion to his decided deity. For his unflinching obedience and sacrifice, Simon is condemned to hell. No mercy and no love for God’s worshipers. Most likely, no God at all.