1. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

“No matter how much we do for men they abandon us when it suits them.”

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

Sous des apparences faussement anodines, un cinglant aperçu de l'éternelle et pitoyable comédie humaine des représentations et des impostures, cruellement acerbe et quasi entomologique, à travers une oeuvre dénonciatrice de l'arrogant statut de l'homme face à l'élément féminin, qu'il soit circonscrit dans la sphère familiale (l'épouse) ou positionné dans l'ailleurs des plaisirs (la geisha). www.cinefiches.com

3. Yongjia Li's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

4. Jordan Kaltz's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

5. Alex's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

6. James Mackin's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

Surprisingly feminist for the time, which is nice.

7. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

8. The Obsidian Mirror's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

Una forma di protesta contro le condizioni delle donne nel Giappone di quegli anni, vittime del potere e della sopraffazione in una società patriarcale. "Why do we have to suffer like this?" si dispera nell'epilogo Omocha, sopraffatta dalla rabbia, imprecando contro l'esistenza stessa delle geishe. Leggi tutto su: http://insidetheobsidianmirror.blogspot.it/2012/05/sisters-of-gion.html

9. Richie Hayes's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

Scandalously underrated. One of the absolute greats of cinema in under 70 minutes.

10. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

El doble rostro de la figura femenina desdoblada en dos hermanas. Una es la benefactora y otra la perversa. El drama parece ser inevitable en ambas. El hombre como gestor de este.

11. Howard Orr's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

A brilliant film, but, due to the camera positioning vis-a-vis the actors, even more than Mizoguchi's later films one designed to be seen on a big cinema screen. Donald Ritchie's pick as just about the best Japanese film ever made.

12. Fusayoshi Umezono's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

mmmm... Not "Shimai" (姉妹 Sisters), correct is "Kyoudai" (兄弟 Brothers), but Kanji (Chinise characters) is "Shimai"... even if Japanese, that's not easy subject for this truth. So, correct title is "Gion no kyoudai" (I don't recommend to use "Kyôdai", because Hiragana is "Kyo-U-Da-I" きょうだい and not "Kyohdai" too).

13. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

One of my favourite of Mizoguchi's works. He certainly made the most of a swift running time, creating an interesting story with a powerful message.

14. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

The first 2/3rds play like comedy. Then the Mizoguchi thing happens and why are my eyes misty.

15. Dave's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

My second Mizoguchi pre-war, and while I prefer Osaka Elegy, this was another gem. The gracefulness of the camera movement and camera placement are as perfect as one would expect from Mizoguchi. A gorgeous looking film.

16. Invagination's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

Very powerful film on the status of women and gender relations in Japan.

17. Joe Morton's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

Great cinematography. Most of the shots are a frame with in a frame: like PEEKING into the scenery and tragic lives of theses Geisha sisters and their "patrons" (not exactly "Johns") The plot revolves around the tragically mistaken ideas about relationships the Geisha and Patrons have. Any frame of this movie could be put in a picture frame and mounted on the wall. But the serious subject matter would be lost.

18. Daniela's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

Second Mizoguchi film. I'm fully convinced he's AN AUTEUR <3

19. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

Perfect for its slim running time, an almost-masterpiece.

20. Arshi Rai's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

This was a highly impressive introduction to the famous director. The story was brilliantly told, often surprising, always true.

21. Aaron G.'s rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

4 stars for Mizoguchi but 5 stars compared to most any other director. The great Isuzu Yamada is extraordinary in this film (and apparently still alive).

22. feder84's rating of the film Sisters of the Gion

It's very famous, but actually it's not one of my favourite Mizoguchi's movies...