1. Renton47's rating of the film Sisters

As his first venture into pure homage, it never transcends its influences even if it goes further. We recognise the template but the undertones are decidedly more explicit. What makes it work aside from BDP's formal skills, is the kind of real-time sleuthing, a narrative perspective that shifts with the act of witnessing. More thrillers should be contained, amorphic, open to a narrative inventiveness.

2. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Sisters

This is probably one of the better De Palma’s I’ve seen. I’m starting to appreciate what he’s doing more now. It feels less like a rip-off and more like a continuation of Hitchcock into the 70s. It may be pulling a lot, but it’s probably no worse than what Tarantino does. He’s just a more talented filmmaker overall.

3. Stefano De Putti's rating of the film Sisters

Sarebbe un 2,5. In ogni caso lo consiglio molto

4. Ethan's rating of the film Sisters

This is a nice little thriller with the usual Hitchcockian overtones mixed with the De Palma's undeniable style.

5. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film Sisters

3.5 // great & terrifying. perde um pouquinho a mão no meio, though. e um certo hitchcock excess. go lighter brian, go lighter

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Sisters

Nombreuses et souvent lourdes références au maître, Alfred Hitchcock, mais aussi cinéma d'esbroufe et de leurre, cette oeuvre peut laisser indifférent ou pantois... www.cinefiches.com

7. Balthaz21's rating of the film Sisters

8. James Mackin's rating of the film Sisters

Oh shit. The clean-up scene is a masterclass in both tension, and comedy. Goddamn.

9. bernardovazdecastro's rating of the film Sisters

This decade is particularly good in these kinda of production, between horror, sci-fi and a certain new approach to psychoanalysis. Like Cronenberg ("The Brood", "Rabid") or Carpenter ("Someone's Watching Me!") de Palma did this incredible film where many of is future elements are already created. It's show too is deep devotion to Hitchcock ("Rear Window" or "Vertigo").

10. wiwitaek's rating of the film Sisters

So Daniella and Dominique is one person? I thought I see Grace Collier in video flash played by Emil. I am confused.

11. A-N-T-O-I-N-E's rating of the film Sisters

12. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Sisters

6.8/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2yi

13. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film Sisters

2,5 Watched it too long ago to make full sense of, but more vividly than before was I aware over the last few weeks of grinning stars' impatient rat-a-tat-tat on earth's domed windowpanes and Gemini's (j)ocular ring-a-rosy, when at the hospital I work at 4 pairs of twins and one set of triplet girls landed in a row. I was about to see The Triplets of Belleville to celebrate the coincidence, but then this flick turned

14. Aaron Dillenbeck's rating of the film Sisters

Annoying characters, comically bad acting, and an uninteresting screenplay. Some cool editing techniques like the black and white and split screen. The entire middle third of the movie is terrible. The private eye and the journalist are the least likeable characters I've ever seen. Soundtrack is hit and miss. Creepy at times. Distractingly campy at others. Started and ended well but that middle.... so bad.

15. aaa093's rating of the film Sisters

"There was no body because there was no murder!!!"

16. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Sisters

The irony De Palma plays with here so effortlessly seems virtually impossible to pull off in genre horror now.

17. El Biffo's rating of the film Sisters

I'm trying to develop an appreciation for DePalma, really I am. I like a couple of his films, even tho they're pretty cheezy. But this is a 70's slasher film with bloody butcher's knives. And the Bernard Hermann "crazy music" is quite cheezy, too. An extra star for a creative ending tho.

18. pirri's rating of the film Sisters

19. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Sisters

****1/2 ...and might I add, I find the description's mention of "female destructiveness" highly dubious. There's something of an allegorical take here on DePalma's obsessions (media, voyeurism, and most especially and overarchingly, the Vietnam nightmare) up to this point, and the responsibility for "destructiveness" here lies ultimately at the feet of the unquestioned and unaccountable institutions being parodied.

20. Te Pe's rating of the film Sisters

3½ star. Margot Kidder at her best. Creepy

21. Martin Wilson's rating of the film Sisters

Threadbare and stark as most suspense films should be. Shows up the lushness of later films as something of a hindrance. I first 'saw' this film broken down into shot sequences in a film magazine. When key moments such as the stabbing neared, I knew exactly what I was going to 'see.' I was totally prepared. But, actually I wasn't. Not for the full force effect, that announced the arrival of BRIAN DE PALMA.

22. le Gars's rating of the film Sisters

23. paxy's rating of the film Sisters

24. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Sisters

Great soundtrack, a wierd black and white dream sequence and great use of split screen make up for some of the weaknesses. Why though did they insist on Margot Kidder's accent? It has a great ending.

← Previous 1 3 4