1. Leif Erikson's rating of the film Skinningrove

Portrait of a lady who every day would come down, twice a day, look to see if the sea was there, leave and come back in the evening and look again to check before she went to bed. This was her twice-a-day routine.

2. Nick Potter's rating of the film Skinningrove

The simple concept of a man narrating the stories behind his 30+ year old photographs is a simple one that is executed in a beautiful way in this brief film.

3. Myles's rating of the film Skinningrove

Some nice shots accompanied by almost amusingly bland commentary on a town that should probably be allowed to die.

4. fearraigh's rating of the film Skinningrove

It's not terribly cinematic but Chris Killip is an engaging presence in his presentation of the wonderful photographs he took in the Yorkshire fishing village in the 1980s. The perfect length for this sort of thing and you leave feeling you have learned something.

5. Chearth's rating of the film Skinningrove

6. Nacnud Schmalz's rating of the film Skinningrove

Very sweet and nice. A nice portrait of those people and that place. Hey! - I have the same globe the guy's sitting in front of - a unique one that changes power just by touching the base - very rare - I think? Thanks, MUBI!

7. David R Williams's rating of the film Skinningrove

Photographs are fragments of the past we can hold in our hands...a thoughtful eulogy delivered by the photographer as he moves through the fragments recounting the people and the experience and remembering those who - alive within the frame - are no longer so.

8. mpho3's rating of the film Skinningrove

Interesting. Nice photography, but I wonder what drew Killip there in the first place. I was also a little bothered by the pics of Simon, who was taken out on the water to learn not to fear it. Killip says he's never been sure what use those photos of Simon are yet he describes one as being particularly poignant, which I also felt. Again, this makes me wonder what led to his devoting so much to that place and time.

9. John Woodall's rating of the film Skinningrove

Reminds me of my grandfather showing me his pictures and experiences. Captures the theme of everyday beauty perfectly.

10. thelastronaut's rating of the film Skinningrove

So warm in its remembrance! Even though I have never visited Skinningrove, I feel like I've been there now. Never thought a photographer narrating a slideshow could be so fascinating. And I'm a photographer who has narrated slideshows!

11. FISCHER's rating of the film Skinningrove

Un photographe d'une évidente pertinence psychologique et visuelle .....

12. Zac Weber's rating of the film Skinningrove

Solid photos accompanied by a very passionate, if at times dull, narration. I appreciate artwork that shines a light on the margins.

13. ejonline's rating of the film Skinningrove

Fascinating short film narrated by a photographer who talks us through a collection his photos taken of a small fishing village in England in the early 1980's. Not only do you get his insights into his working process, you also get details about working class life in the village itself. Like many other isolated enclaves, they were (are?) wary of outsiders and distrustful of those who would displace them for profit.

14. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Skinningrove

The photographer Chris Killip narrates a series of photos he took of the village Skinningrove. It's low key and short, but quite interesting nonetheless. He's a pretty good narrator or perhaps the photos are just really good at capturing the details of tiny village life through the faces of its inhabitants. Regardless, for the 15 minutes this ran, I was thoroughly captivated by it.

15. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Skinningrove

A simple but very effective way to present these beautiful photographs and to hear the narration about the circumstances of their origin. It's like looking at the contents of a time capsule.

16. El Biffo's rating of the film Skinningrove

A narrated slideshow, an intimate portrait of a small fishing village in Northern England. Great images of kids and teenagers.

17. francisca bacon's rating of the film Skinningrove

Their ordinary is our history, their dailiness is our temporal alterity: "Skinningrove" is an ethnographic account of sorts, although it doesn’t speak of a different culture, more like of subcultural ripples that shape a community’s physiognomy at a certain moment, leaving the traditional (read: occupational) base untouched. What’s intriguing is not the way the village echoes larger trends of the time, this is hardly

18. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Skinningrove

This short film expands and contracts through time, through process, in and out of people's lives and personal drama, through an artist's memory and plans for his work, through stiff fixed grain on a plate camera negative; to pixels on a scanned image; to a reflection in a computer monitor; to a back light image on a screen; to the motion capturing of Michael Almereyda more than 25 years after the original plane of