1. Jason's rating of the film Slack Bay

MA LOUTE is far less readily digestible than P'TIT QUINQUIN (and has hella payoff(s) in this regard) but is definitely doing a few of the same things. This one is more forcefully crass, but likewise sees comedy as a domain in which the crass serves as ground for the transcendent. This one very rudely turns on us. Individual bits of business threaten to swirl off into the aether (well before they actually do).

2. Jamie Steele's rating of the film Slack Bay

This is very much a 'marmite' film. Whereas my partner expressed her strong dislike for the film, I was captivated by its beauty. The way in which the Nord-Pas-de-Calais landscape is masterfully captured is truly inspiring. I've been au fait with Dumont's work from the 1990s, and this shift in genre feels as shocking as his 'New Extremist' fare. The slapstick is very much à la française and highly entertaining.

3. camille demers-lambert's rating of the film Slack Bay

2 étoiles, +1 pour le personnage de Billie

4. msmichel's rating of the film Slack Bay

Another macabre piece of whimsy from Bruno Dumont that offers a somewhat unique watch. While not the career changer 'Li'l Quinquin' was this cements Dumont as a director capable of so much more than the miserableness he was known for. Performers are game for whimsy here with a totally out of character turn by Binoche. ...you'll float too...

5. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Slack Bay

6. janh24's rating of the film Slack Bay

Very strange, but it houses a peculiar kind of charm.

7. theravecave@hotmail.co.uk's rating of the film Slack Bay

A load of rubbish. 2 hours of unfunny Fench nonsense. Unless your thing is laughing at overweight or effeminate policemen. Last year the same director had a series shown on here which got equally good ratings and was also a pile of rubbish - I suggest MUBI viewers who have rated this well watch Jacques Tati and then reconsider their ratings

8. PFL's rating of the film Slack Bay

Dumont's "Slack Bay" is a wonderfully madcap and inventive film, underpinned by a hint of melancholy. The slapstick is marvellously offset by the movie's visual beauty - the painterly seascapes leaving as much of an impression as the quirkiness of plot - and the first rate cast are clearly having a ball. A delightful follow up to "Li'l Quinquin".

9. Zanna Walsh's rating of the film Slack Bay

Well, there it is. I have had a wine, and also just come back from throwing myself into the Solent. Quite, quite, bizarre.

10. McOpinionated's rating of the film Slack Bay

Great accents. Visually nice - costumes, colour, compositions, the ugly faces and mugging, and all the movement as the characters wiggle around. The voices, exaggerated mannerisms and repeated jokes were ok. The prat-falls, freakishness, ugly faces and so on (magic realism, the dark secrets) are woeful: this is humour?! Other irrelevant quirks (e.g. gender issues, use of foley) are, eh. I dunno. Pretentious?

11. Superfrog's rating of the film Slack Bay

A disappointing rehash of le p'tit quinquin where the slapstick falls flat in spite of the reasonably acute portrayal of class division. A missed opportunity.

12. chanandre's rating of the film Slack Bay

La Glycineeeee! La Glycineee.! LA GLyCINEEEEE elle est immenseeee "Je sais André, les choses poussent...". LMFAO. My exact reaction to plants growing.

13. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Slack Bay

This is a film that will either work for you or not. I fall firmly in the latter camp. Although it's technically competent, and the cast do quite well, I just didn't enjoy any of the humour (which is a big problem when watching a film that seems to want to play out as a comedy, however bizarre that comedy may be).

14. Zachariah Rigby's rating of the film Slack Bay

The weirdness of this movie has a certain charm, but (ironically?) the slapstick falls flat on its face.

15. keithinhull@gmail.com's rating of the film Slack Bay

A very strange film for Dumont but incredibly funny and surreal

16. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Slack Bay

Excellent! What a lot of fun! Mad posh family and warped poor family, their meeting on the beach is a cinematic moment to remember. Creaking police, fresh meat (!), strangeness abounds. And Juliette Binoche! Blimey! What a nutter! Reminded me of P'tit Quinquin, made by the same guy. Northern France as you've never experienced it before. A gem.

17. Tja's rating of the film Slack Bay

Surreal, enjoyable Edwardian period French comedy-farce, which would probably work equally well as a silent Mr Beanesque undertaking. Good to see the french brother of Mr Creosote is making his mark with the gendarmerie .

18. Rustam Chartrand Mendeleev's rating of the film Slack Bay

"We know what to do, but we do not do ! " ou "Ma foi, ma foi, ma foi, ma foi, ma foi, ma foi !"

19. Elizabeth-Jane Baldry's rating of the film Slack Bay

A misjudged ragbag of half-baked ideas with an incoherent script. Partially redeemed by gorgeous costumes and an arresting visual flair.

20. The Ceramicist's rating of the film Slack Bay

Like a Harrods shop window - on trend, fanciful, with creative but not genre bending aesthetics. Or you could describe it as a series of shorts played in succession. You'll be enraptured by the first and second, beginning to doubt the originality of the 3rd, 4th and 5th; and by the 6th, convinced that each director came from the same clique of humourous but predictable friends at the same expensive film school.

21. Stuart Metcalfe's rating of the film Slack Bay

Bruno Dumont can do no wrong for me at the moment. Laughed out loud several times. Freida?

22. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Slack Bay

23. bryanvmh's rating of the film Slack Bay

The foley artists must have had a field day with this movie

24. Marjan Mar's rating of the film Slack Bay

Couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry... so I cried laughing....