1. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Smoke Signals

Works mainly as a road movie where the characters get to know and like each other.

2. daftnymph's rating of the film Smoke Signals

it's a good day to be indigenous

3. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Smoke Signals

Now when I watch something sweet, earnest and good-natured from America it makes my gut ache. But then I remember that the American Indians have survived genocide and it gives me hope that the world might survive Trump. Of course, if white America had listened to decades of environmental protests by native persons, we wouldn't be in this situation... I think it's the kind of modest film that stirs reflections.

4. killgill's rating of the film Smoke Signals

Thomas is one of my favorite characters of all time

5. butterflycaught's rating of the film Smoke Signals

The whole seems to be one of Thomas's stories, told in a modest and yet imaginative way.

6. fleur de chair's rating of the film Smoke Signals

I remember going to see this with my mother at the local indie cinema. I don't know whether or not we were the only Native people there, but we were among the few that laughed. Lots of great inside jokes for the Native community. But by itself, it's probably the best film out there about what life on the res is like in the 20th century. Moreover, it's as good a film about coming to terms with an absent father.

7. ramosbarajas's rating of the film Smoke Signals

I had read the story upon which it's based years ago, so I had a feeling of deja vu all throughout the film. The dialogue is really funny, and the performances are great. It's a great testament to independent and national cinemas. Adams and Beach are incredible and very funny.