1. patríciapinho's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

am I insensitive for thinking they're all a bunch of phonies, including at the end thinking "2 down, 1 to go"??

2. Beatriz M.'s rating of the film Sophie's Choice

3. mpho3's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

"This was not judgment day. Only morning." I haven't read Styron's novel, but I suspect it succeeds where this adaptation doesn't. The film wants to be a tragic romance, a Holocaust tale, the story of a writer's coming of age, a parable of some sort, a depiction of mental illness, and it sort of fails at all of those. The wins here are Streep's performance and the flashback cinematography. 3.5 stars

4. truffraud's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

WHAT WAS SOPHIE'S CHOICE?! just kidding. i love peter macniccol in anything, and he absolutely glows as the charming, blushing lead from the south, stingo. meryl streep is captivating. she's really magical onscreen as sophie. you get lost in her character's fragility and fickleness.

5. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

7.6/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2hS

6. galimgim's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

great performances despite the lackluster storytelling

7. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

Irritating. Had to sort out my thoughts. I had mixed feelings how to judge. This is a play rather than a movie. And this is a tragedy rather than a drama. The story unfolds very slowly. Too slowly. Therefore it becomes boring. The end, after more than 2 hrs is packed with surprises, explanations & daramatic elements. Too late. Pakula is in a twist between "victims of Nazi's" and "ill-fated love". Wasted potential.

8. Dan's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

This is just a showcase for Meryl to do her (incredible) thing and ACT. Shame that the everything involving Stingo wasn't compelling in the slightest.

9. Federico Di Folco's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

È un film pesante ed incompleto,che impiega parecchio tempo per arrivare al nocciolo e rimane un melodrammone con un messaggio non sfruttato appieno,ma la clamorosa interpretazione della Streep e la saggezza e sensibilità di Pakula innalzano senza dubbio il tutto.Sono quei film che non ti convicono in piano,ma ti toccano alla grandissima

10. Jimmi HRS's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

I found the modern aspect of the story a lot less engaging than Sophie's past, and Stingo's character was fairly dull. I need not really say that Meryl Streep is incredible in her role as Sophie and I can't believe she learnt German and Polish just for the part. 3.5 stars

11. Rafael Feitosa's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

Meryl gave us the best female performance of all time. Period

12. ~ Lisa ~'s rating of the film Sophie's Choice

13. Corina Campian's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

That description above reads like a lot of insipid crap if you've actually watched the movie

14. Lorena Brandão's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

15. Terri Wise's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

The movie is a pale shadow of the book.

16. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

It goes without saying that Meryl Streep gives a great performance, but as I cataloged the annoyances of this one—achingly emphatic music cues, overwritten voiceover for an underwritten character, period detail done in unimaginative "literary" realism—I realized that all of my least favorite things about Oscar season have been with us for 30 years. Doesn't leave me optimistic for the next 30. 3 out of 5 stars.

17. amca's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

18. Wortzik's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

Or a vast majority here became cynical and snob or some are blinded to the point of not seeing any possible qualities it has. Love the book, like the film, and enjoy the performances all the way. The only problem with the film is the pacing at some parts due to fact of its play treatment. One of 1980's greatest ahievements.

19. Mattia 5's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

One of the worst movie I've ever seen!

20. Subterranean Cinema's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

The scene where she makes her "choice" is one of the greatest moments of acting in the history of cinema, male or female. Unfortunately, the rest of the film is absolute garbage, with a cutesy dopey narration track that is beyond irritating. Kevin Kline seemed to be getting in some early practice for "A Fish Called Wanda", and Peter MacNicol has a smarmy face just begging for a slap. Only Streep keeps it from 1 star.

21. Adham T. Fusama's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

Remarkable performance by Streep

22. Roscoe's rating of the film Sophie's Choice

Dull dull dull and lifeless, except when Kevin Kline is onscreen, wiping up the screen with the overrated Streep.