1. Warren Spratley's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

probably the greatest US film of the 90s along with Hartley's TRUST

2. JMKE's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

a decent film for basic degenerates

3. ajdehany's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

The indiest film I ever seen. What's eating Raymond Aibelli.

4. janh24's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

An interesting, though tonally awkward, film.

5. matt pelly's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

Finally a film that makes incest accessible! Not enough films do that. Let's start a movement.

6. Superfrog's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

7. raggiodisole's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

adolescence at one of its most difficult moments. doesn't happen to everyone, but at least see it as a valid representation of teenage awkwardness. think of it as symbolic

8. Cherrelle H's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

This is an uncomfortable watch that realises the Oedipus complex in a believable, grossly sad way! Etched in my mind. F-O-R-E-V-E-R

9. chazell's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

10. Temi Cheke's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

I don't quite know what I just watched.

11. Peter Manousakos's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

I noticed the average rating for this film was a 3ish. I gave it a four because it managed to make an uncomfortable story accessible and funny even if it isn't relatable. Most people don't like that I suppose. I couldn't fathom how family could break down quite this way but I encourage you to watch until the end, and it'' pay off. Family is a beautiful thing but in this age, having one is just so much harder.

12. Penelope q's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

13. Thomas Ryder's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

14. Elephants_Gerald's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

Given what I'd always heard about it, and also given what Russell would become with all his subsequent movies, I was surprised this wasn't the whacked-out screwball babbling cartoon ensemble incest story I'd been imagining. It's really just a quiet & subdued incest story with a lot more going on than the shock value of its logline and title would have you believe.

15. film_lies101's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

His mom is sexy though, so...

16. Genre films > French New Wave's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

Despite its flaws (namely its structural ones), I found myself enjoying it.

17. sandracine's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

Yuck - I do not like Jeremy Davies' acting, in this or any other films. "Secretary" comes to mind. This film gave me the creeps.

18. the.deft.one's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

O. Russell started as he meant to go on with another dark and deadpan comedy, controversial upon release due to it’s inclusion of an incestual mother-son storyline. Those scenes are handled with taste and fit in well with the film’s overarching themes of neurosis, sexual discovery and over-parenting. Bold and brave; it’s a strong debut.

19. Miasma's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

Went in with no knowledge, and let's just say I didn't see this one coming. Good!

20. Justin Kane's rating of the film Spanking the Monkey

A great debut from David O. Even when I don't love the man's films, I never forget about them, this is no exception.