1. nico's rating of the film Sparrow

A narrativa é irregular, mas há aspectos positivos o bastante para compensar a experiência. A atmosfera construída pela trilha sonora e a direção meticulosa da coreografia nas cenas de furto aproximam Sparrow de uma linguagem performática, idílica.

2. mlstrx's rating of the film Sparrow

3. josh scam's rating of the film Sparrow

Stylistically perfect. The whole film flows like a ballet; the music, the colours, the movement, it's all here. But the story lacks the oomph of To's other films.

4. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Sparrow

To's obsessions on crime, the living city, malleable morality and double/triple crosses are still here. Thankfully, they all take a back seat to a light, classy, and perhaps even fanciful, tone, thanks to simple yet gorgeous cinematography and a brilliant soundtrack. The result is refreshing.

5. Cichlisuite's rating of the film Sparrow

1.5 A rather horrible viewing experience. The soundtrack grates and the story was ridiculous. It's hard to find anything good to say about this - perhaps a few shots looked ok - it comes off like a bad fusion dish with old Hollywood mixed with the worst of Tarantino flavour with extra cheese on top. I won't bother to explain the silliness with the protagonist's photography but that irked me as well.

6. Anita G's rating of the film Sparrow

I reckon they worked out the shots and the music first and then wrote the story. There are some really great compositions in this film and it is quirky - but not enough to keep me watching.

7. Oneironaut 717's rating of the film Sparrow

Great soundtrack, incoherent story

8. Steve G.'s rating of the film Sparrow

I find that Johnnie To's lack of narrative clarity and focus gets right on my tits, to be completely honest. The opening scene is utterly terrible and it barely picked up from there. Still, it's refreshing to know that bumping into people clumsily is still regarded as the chosen method for a supposed pickpocketing professional to get the best results.

9. youngdoug's rating of the film Sparrow

A beautifully-shot stylish unsentimental movie in love with Hong Kong and its peoples. The unsentimental makes it a classic. It avoids a romantic trap. The movies view of real life that is the beauty here. And how beautiful it can be. The umbrella sequence will stay with you forever.

10. raggiodisole's rating of the film Sparrow

Light and breezy, and smart enough to keep you watching. Ohh that Johnny To!

11. klofter's rating of the film Sparrow

What a delightful piece of filmmaking! I only knew To from his Election movies (which I adore) and didn't realize how charming and funny he could be! The somewhat contrived plot notwithstanding, this is a beautifully shot film and a competently told caper. The climactic scene in the rain in breathtaking and I stopped counting the number of iconic Hollywood shots To references here. Highly recommended!

12. Through A Glass, Darkly's rating of the film Sparrow

13. GreenROCK's rating of the film Sparrow

Light entertainment. If you do not have anything else to do, then watch it.

14. Tom Ely's rating of the film Sparrow

I found the score intrusive and annoying in some places, but if you ignore this and the somewhat implausible plot, theres some nice shots that reminded me of old hollywood, and some quite funny moments..

15. Rohan Berry's rating of the film Sparrow

Johnnie To's love letter to Hong Kong's airy verticality has a lightness of touch the match of the pickpockets that form the core of the story. This is a film saturated with the seductive allure of consumer items and brand names (from the Marlboro cigarette to the Cartier watch), and To plays out sequences not so much for dramatic expediency as for the inherent eroticism of the game played. Unlike any other film.

16. DanOffen's rating of the film Sparrow

Some nice sequences aren't enough to save this film from it's lack of coherence.

17. Alexandre Roy's rating of the film Sparrow

I found the story uninteresting and implausible. The characters are underdeveloped and really what the fuck is up with that girl and this rich man? That comes out of nowhere. The whole premise is laughable. I'll agree that the soundtrack is great and the film is aptly directed, but the rest is a mess.

18. Achim Grün's rating of the film Sparrow

Something tells me that Tarantino likes this one. And I do too...

19. caprivi76's rating of the film Sparrow

schön anzuschauen aber spannungsarm

20. Albrecht B. Christoph's rating of the film Sparrow

Schon schön, aber meiner Ansicht nach soll die übertrieben Langsamkeit eine nicht vorhandene künstlerische Komplexität vortäuschen.

21. Vi's rating of the film Sparrow

Beautiful work. So much hope in these settings and wellbeing, even if only for some privileged ones and the main parts are thieves. To develop the characters as voyeurs, flaneurs, playboys and choreographing entire parts of the movie is an esthetic pleasure. At the second view it lacks concision and some scenes are too long, the time being extended without a point in the story. Sweet and sour ending, freedom as h.end

22. Oliver Maresch's rating of the film Sparrow

Was Männer nicht alles tun, um Frauen in Not zu helfen. Dem Witz und Charme dieser schönen Frau können vier Ganoven einfach nicht widerstehen. Dafür müssen sie einiges einstecken. Und doch ertappte ich mich, dass ich in einigen Szenen gerne mit ihnen getauscht hätte. Männer sind eben manchmal doch ein bisschen blöd.

23. ruth.karl@gmx.de's rating of the film Sparrow

5 Sterne für Ästhetinnen - aber auf Dauer fehlt die Spannung. Schade.

24. Yasser Azmy's rating of the film Sparrow

Doesn't matter what happen on the story but give the audience wow ending ,That is a fundamental element johnnie to offer in all his movies.