1. Viginti_tres's rating of the film Spartan

Impresively immediate during the investigation section; forgoing any exposition for the audiences sake, or a switch away to another perspective. The second half is more macho, a sisyphean hell of seeing your partner get shot again and again.

2. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Spartan

3. el.'s rating of the film Spartan

holy shit, this movie really reminded me what a bad script, directing and acting combined look like. it's almost pure comedy when it comes to the development of the storyline..., and the dialogue does wonders to ensure that impression.

4. Steve Currence's rating of the film Spartan

If this had been made about 30-35 years earlier, and the director had been John Frankenhimer or Fred Zimmerman or someone of that caliber, we would be talking about this film as one of the greats of its genre. This is a movie that gives away nothing and is not encumbered by exposition in the least. It's almost as if it's geared for a viewer not made of this "just add water" era.

5. Simone Visentini's rating of the film Spartan

6. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Spartan

How to put together the framework of a thriller and themes that haunt every classic Greek tragedies like Exile and Disguise (Did you notice how many times Val Kilmer changes clothes here) for instance, that's the lesson David Mamet teaches us in Spartan. Sometimes it is working, sometimes it isn't. Recommended though.

7. Zach Closs's rating of the film Spartan

A hard-edged film of rhythm, repetition and minimalism. The likes of Jean-Pierre Melville would've been in awe of the film's immediate details and focus.

8. Dave's rating of the film Spartan

Pretty silly, overall. Honestly, similar to how I felt after watching Heist. On the whole, I like a lot of Mamet's work, but this one had me uninterested throughout.

9. Arshi Rai's rating of the film Spartan

A long overdue rewatch has definately cemented this one as 5 stars. Easily my favourite Mamet film.

10. Hunter Duesing's rating of the film Spartan

A movie of action written and directed by a guy primarily known for his dialogue. Think TAKEN, but more cerebral and less emotional.

11. Iiro Leino's rating of the film Spartan

This film is a fucking beast. Love it.

12. Mark Ayala's rating of the film Spartan

I know people are mixed about Mamet, but I love this damn film so much. Yes it's implausible and yes it's ultra-macho, but it's what makes Mamet's films so great.