1. samba direito's rating of the film Spell Reel

2. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Spell Reel

A mesmerising kaleidoscope of cinema, history, and education. I couldn't tell you the importance of every scene, but I can say that I loved the overall experience, as sometimes fragmented and bewildering as it was. A beautiful piece of experimental documentary work.

3. Dimitris's rating of the film Spell Reel

The archival images & their presentation for the first time by the guerrillas, is by itself a powerful act of continuous resistance that doesn't need much to be turned into a compelling film. César's minimalist approach however & her respectful handling of the material, truly elevates the film and sends a clear message about the revolutionary potentials of filmmaking as a carrier and propagator of collective memories

4. Steve5by5's rating of the film Spell Reel

A little slow and confusing to begin with but really digs deeper in the second half of the film and raises many interesting points.

5. Superfrog's rating of the film Spell Reel

Great moments, and it was particularly interesting to hear about Chris Marker having to give a go for the foreigners to be trusted, in a very post colonial colonial moment. To me, the perceived lack of focus lets the film down somewhat.

6. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Spell Reel

Great film, so interesting. Archival film from times of political upheaval and national independence, being shown outdoors with people who were there, either shooting the films or as freedom fighters, telling their tales and pointing out relevance to the Guinea Bissau of today. A part of the world that many of us know little about. I've been to Guinea, but never Guinea Bissau. Worth watching. An unusual gem.

7. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Spell Reel

8. José Neves's rating of the film Spell Reel

DCP. Doc Lisboa. Spell semiotic, and we will be facing the greater obstacle of this film that does a fair and valiant work for memory. Articulating different times, those of the guerrilla films in Guinea Bissau and its recent public projection would require more than a little appealing concomitance of formats, as well a textual structuration beyond a so-called "essay", that just tries a structuralist poetic demiurgy.