1. Graceful Photon's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

While the scenes of the show are transcendent, and the premise is interesting, I just didn’t connect with it. The running time is trim at under 95 min, and there’s plenty of plot, but I mostly ended up confused about who the characters were, and why that song was chosen for the funeral scene.

2. Myles's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

An inventive device-- what do you do when you've got a chateau and no cash flow-- but it's basically just another campy, cynical Franju horror.

3. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

A fun romp through a meta- construction that has a go at our morbid voyeuristic tendencies as movie-goers, supporters of a ghost world of light and sound, and soul murderers like Harvey Weinstein. If only there had been more visual intelligence tying it together.

4. Peter Blegvad's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

5. Sprungler's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

Quite an extraordinary film, silly without being stupid and thrilling without being too playful. What a great atmosphere surrounding it! I'd recommend it as a dark comedy but it could easily be a genre of its own.

6. The Tsundokuist's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

French take on the Agatha Christie formula. Barely passable for over an hour then redeemed by a wonderous “sound and light” set-piece in the final third.

7. Nick Potter's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

I fully blame myself for losing interest part way through, I wasn't in the best circumstances to fully enjoy the film. Just because it wasn't Eyes Without A Face doesn't mean it isn't good, and I'll have to keep my eye out for a second chance.

8. Muriel's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

Lovely, crisp digital print for an amusing Agatha Christie-style murder mystery - with a sharp use of classical framing and a soundtrack of disembodied menace that is very Franju. Plus, the cool, very handsome Trintignant stars.

9. Neil's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

A bit like What A Carve Up! done by Buñuel.

10. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

Georges Franju masterfully directs this thriller that moves between playfulness and great tension as potential heirs to a fortune start to be whittled down in numbers, all while still trying to find the corpse of their uncle (who hid himself away when he knew the end was upon him).

11. Superfrog's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

A comedy? A thriller? A drama? Social commentary? All of the above with a dive into a good familly pre-burial affairs when the playful uncle decides to hide himself to die in his Chevalier de Malte costume, dealying the actual inheritance by 5 years unless his body is found. Also stunning photographically, trying to be entertaining without being stupid and with a pretty good rythm. Excuse of a story for a great plot

12. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

It may be that the first time you saw this movie it was a crappy print with dubbed voices. It looked like a Z-Grade movie. This was a great print, and it was a fun mystery that's reminiscent of 'And then there were none'.

13. Zanna Walsh's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

A nice little afternoons entertainment.

14. El Biffo's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

Trintignant is cool, but what I really love is the castle! 3.5*

15. SpacePirate's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

The Arrow blu ray is exceptional and its transfer Criterion level. While this is no Eyes Without A Face, it is a decidedly French take on a Christie type murder mystery which I found to be beautifully done. Feels very much like And Then There Were None at times, and really the acting and pacing of the film is just right throughout. Extra star added for the beautiful Gaumont restoration used on the blu ray

16. Loz Loory's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

A fun romp in the spirit of Agatha Christie mysteries. Loved the bombastic trumpet music over the shots of the castle. Loved the Disney-fication of the castle. Loved the (now antiquated) sound system (what happens if more than one person is in more than one room? What track do you play?) Wonder if the dying man should have been shown entering the closet. Perhaps more suspenseful if we don't know he's there?

17. anwoody's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

Somehow it made me think Ealing comedy but without the humour.

18. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

This is my second Franju film and, man, I really LOVE this dude. Filmed directly after "Eyes without a Face", Franju works again in a tone of mystery and suspense. Adding to the flavor is the ambiance created by this castle-like manor that the entire family is gathered in. It's foreboding and ominous, full of secret doors, one-way mirrors and a checkered past. Reminds me of Hitchcock meets Agatha Christie. Fun stuff.

19. jordi torrent's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

I like many of Franju’s films, but this one... no, weak weak weak.

20. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

"Written by the team behind Vertigo" begs the obvious comparison. Hitchcock this ain't.

21. Lauren's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

22. Laura Suffield's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

Delightful, stylish, charming French nonsense, all set in a gorgeous Renaissance chateau and with lovely 1960s clothing and hairdos. Perfect Christmas film viewing.

23. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

The story is borrowed from many films which preceded this one. We've all seen an example similar to it, at least in general plot, but not often so delectable as Pleins feux sur l'assasin. It contains a buoyancy amid the noirish shadows leading up a castle's hidden stairwells toward serviceable mystery, good kissing and lackadaisical murder. Georges Franju directed this casual plum. How can we resist a peek?

24. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Spotlight on a Murderer

Written by Boileau-Narcejac (Diabolique), 'Pleins Feux sur l'Assassin' is a mystery movie set in a castle of the Middle Ages. The screenplay is not so original and I think that the only scene worth my time was the first scene with Pierre Brasseur.