1. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Starman

Interesting to see Carpenter turn his hand towards comparatively mainstream romantic material and the results are impressive: a conventional 1980s close encounter adventure with a big heart and a grown-up sensibility, helped by a disturbing initial set up that efficiently and powerfully establishes both the personal and political trauma of the alien's arrival. Allen and Bridges are great together.

2. ø's rating of the film Starman

Karen Allen fucks an Alien. Gross.

3. thelastronaut's rating of the film Starman

Love knows no bounds, not even interplanetary ones.

4. 'king Harold's rating of the film Starman

Made my teeth curl. One star for Carpenters dumb synthesisers.

5. Superfrog's rating of the film Starman

Not an amazing film, but in line with many of the what if unusual character was to join our world film. It is not about the alien, it is all about us.

6. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film Starman

This is all the more poignant in the post 2001 epoch; economical in its means and rich in its content. The first 5 minutes seem to compare the universal beauty of the cosmos with the meanness of verbal reality. Throughout the story, simple humanity asserts its nobility with economy of language. ''you will have a child, and he will be a teacher, he will be human &will know everything that I know; tell him of me.....

7. Ed S's rating of the film Starman

I know it's not perfect, but I just love it.

8. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Starman

Beautiful to look at. There's also an interesting parallel between the landing of the pilgrims, as Native American culture is subtly referenced throughout, drawing on questions about the invaded and the invaders. The performances are fantastic, and the sly hint at baby ET being the Messiah just gives this movie some longetivity. Watch. Also, I'll never forget KA's face in the last shot.

9. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film Starman

John Carpenter is God. Period.

10. babycakesromero's rating of the film Starman

loving the alien and his magic marbles

11. ant's rating of the film Starman

It's amazing how easy it is to say to one stranger "I need to help" and he decides to make a massive Molotov bomb and get chased from the army!

12. DanielSpeight's rating of the film Starman

13. smndvdcl's rating of the film Starman

John Carpenter was a true auteur in the 80s. Despite going off the boil in the 90s, his golden era is remarkable.

14. Levi Miah's rating of the film Starman

This was so close to a masterpiece that I could taste it all the way through but it doesn't quite get there. Carpenter forgoes scoring what - in my imagination - would've been the best score of his career in place of one that never really captures the mood well enough. Chances to bring the romanticism into the visuals are passed over at times, but there's also an ethereal beauty running through the core.

15. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Starman

16. SiIencio's rating of the film Starman

An alien with seemingly limitless powers, albeit rather dumb, bets on his extraterrestrial pals, alas not very apt for rescue missions, to be found on the third day. Nothing exceptional in between with the typical police chase full of nonsensical mishaps and the saccharine love affair. Jeff Bridges plays the robotic twit with tedious monotony while Karen Allen tries to explain him where babies come from.

17. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Starman

An atypical Carpenter movie that proves to be no less enjoyable than many of his other movies from this period. Sweet and magical sci-fi.

18. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film Starman

There's a starman waiting in the sky He'd like to come and meet us But he thinks he'd blow our minds.

19. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Starman

20. Ghostman's rating of the film Starman

Jeff Bridges is the best actor who ever lived.

21. THE APOLL0's rating of the film Starman

Carpenter care's deeply about empathy and self reflexive understanding in this film, an antithesis to apathy through the medium of the genre.

22. Ethan's rating of the film Starman

This is one of John Carpenter's lighter films and it is an absolute delight. Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen are so good together.

23. Cătălin, HiperCristalin's rating of the film Starman

Karen Allen looks like Eminem with long hair, pretty much the perfect woman.

24. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Starman

Carpenter's outlier, warm and cuddly with no pure evil in sight. What makes it his is its fondness for the American working class, otherwise used as political subtext for action/horror but here a vision of wall-to-wall warmth, where his comic book fantasies of post-Nixon America yield not a nightmare, but the pleasantest daydream. A film that sincerely, fervently believes in people. Nice use of the Everly Brothers.