1. Renton47's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Of course no one remains unaware that ST speaks the language of visual fascism inherent in most sci-fi/superhero blockbusters. Aside from the overt, I'm equally distressed by the homogenisation of race + sex in this utopia, the sly assumption that human harmony will only exist at the expense of some other. Its ironic, but my eyes still glaze over in action scenes, the joke continues after the punchline.

2. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Starship Troopers

It's crazy how ridiculous sci-fi from the 90s, Verhoeven's Starship Troopers and Carpenter's Escape from L.A., now seems completely topical in our time. I guess the Reagan years never truly ended.

3. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Starship Troopers

2-2.5 I think the satirical elements are really bold, and the film could just as easily be misunderstood to be a straight action movie if one wasn't paying attention. But, like Brazil, I think, at times, it struggles from just not having a whole lot in the way of distinct action happening onscreen. I think the second part of the second act suffers from this in particular; but I think the movie mostly works okay.

4. petit astronaute's rating of the film Starship Troopers

(4.3 | 2K) the bugs attack : double-bill with Phase IV

5. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Its one of those films that if you don't get the satirical points and that it's meant to copy films like Triumph Of Will to show Fascism and Americanism fit like a glove it may go over your heads. One of the last clever left-leaning satires to come out of Hollywood. 3.5

6. MarcusArcus's rating of the film Starship Troopers

7. f-nanda's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Why I dont remember seing this as a kid, is beyond my comprehension.

8. Finbar Somers's rating of the film Starship Troopers

The satire isn't nearly as powerful as it's made out to be

9. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Classic sci-fi action and probably Verhoeven's last great film. Great big exploitation film doubling up as razor sharp satire. A very intelligent film that many people don't seem to understand.

10. cinegeek.de's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Ehre, wem Ehre gebürt: Starship Troopers ist der gewalttätigste Film für Kids, der je gemacht wurde! Das Geschehen ist genau abgestimmt auf die Vorlieben Elfjähriger und genau so sind die Romane von Robert A. Heinlein auf denen Paul Verhoevens Film beruht.(...)

11. Elle Johnston's rating of the film Starship Troopers

This film is tainted with the personal teenage angst attached to it. Every pivotal moment of my young life seems to have happened while watching this.

12. TheCinemaAdventurist's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Bloody gory sci-fi action, love story, and satire brilliantly woven together in a Paul Verhoeven classic.

13. Лиич's rating of the film Starship Troopers

how is this satire hahahhahahhahahahahah

14. Roberto Carlos's rating of the film Starship Troopers

A milestone of subversive cinema. Even more revealing in today's society than in 1997.

15. Cependant's rating of the film Starship Troopers

16. Thomas O'Neill's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Subtly good in many ways, and not so subtly bad in other ways.

17. CinemaDead's rating of the film Starship Troopers

How do you not love this? just watch it and if you hate it i'm sorry.

18. smndvdcl's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Verhoeven is an auteur and satirical blockbuster antidote and antithesis to Cameron's bombastic irony-free grandstanding.

19. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Only actors so young, pretty, and vacant (or checked out in the case of the older genre veterans) could deliver this material without a wink or a nod. Thank god they didn't; any self-awareness out of them would have ruined the joke.

20. Jim Fear's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Very underrated sci-fi film.

21. James Mackin's rating of the film Starship Troopers

One of the most beautiful satires ever made. Paul Verhoeven is a gift to the human race.

22. jchandleroc's rating of the film Starship Troopers

23. runfromfire's rating of the film Starship Troopers

A cheesefest to be sure but it's a fun/nostalgic cheesefest that includes Clancy Brown, Michael Ironsides & NPH.

24. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Starship Troopers is an open question: childish and violent, but swimming in subtext about appropriation of war, propaganda, The Other, and so forth. Why does it cast all white actors as Spanish characters from Buenos Aires? What does it say about engendering violence in our schools, or how the war splits the characters apart (for a common goal)? Verhoeven's brilliance is so in-your-face, it flies under the radar.

← Previous 1 3 4