1. blkrchs's rating of the film Starship Troopers

2. Django's rating of the film Starship Troopers

I am personally flummoxed to find any actual satire in this film unless one finds satire in Bataan (1943) or The Green Berets (1968). I have no doubt that Verhoeven intended it as such but the end result is more a warm, wet kiss to Himmler and Leni Riefenstahl rather than a ironic indictment of their worldview.

3. msmichel's rating of the film Starship Troopers

'Do you want to see more?' Verhoeven's clever satire of totalitarianism and propaganda is well contained within the framework of adapting Robert A. Heinlein's classic sci-fi grunt novel. From its plastic fantastic casting to its fetishism of costume and perfect body types this black satire pulls no punches. Characters are simply intentionally planned cardboard cutouts save Dina Meyer who scores here.

4. spasmolytic's rating of the film Starship Troopers

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Oeuvre plutôt réjouissante, malgré un scénario quelque peu répétitif et linéaire, qui nous entraîne dans une brutale saga guerrière tous méchants allègrement confondus. www.cinefiches.com

6. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Rewatch. Kind of drags in the last third. Dina Meyer is a treasure.

7. ionosonde's rating of the film Starship Troopers

8. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Starship Troopers

With cartoonish impact akin to Lichtenstein pop art & Barbie-like plastic sexuality this is foreign policy as pantomime - which would be hilarious were it not ruinous in reality. Similar in technique to the earlier Robocop (media inserts etc.) this takes broader swipes at the hand that feeds it, although not satire all the way with some second-half longueurs between parodic outbursts. Plastic fantastic however. Pow!

9. Renton47's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Of course no one remains unaware that ST speaks the language of visual fascism inherent in most sci-fi/superhero blockbusters. Aside from the overt, I'm equally distressed by the homogenisation of race + sex in this utopia, the sly assumption that human harmony will only exist at the expense of some other. Its ironic, but my eyes still glaze over in action scenes, the joke continues after the punchline.

10. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Starship Troopers

It's crazy how ridiculous sci-fi from the 90s, Verhoeven's Starship Troopers and Carpenter's Escape from L.A., now seems completely topical in our time. I guess the Reagan years never truly ended.

11. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Starship Troopers

2-2.5 I think the satirical elements are really bold, and the film could just as easily be misunderstood to be a straight action movie if one wasn't paying attention. But, like Brazil, I think, at times, it struggles from just not having a whole lot in the way of distinct action happening onscreen. I think the second part of the second act suffers from this in particular; but I think the movie mostly works okay.

12. petit astronaute's rating of the film Starship Troopers

(4.3 | 2K) the bugs attack : double-bill with Phase IV

13. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Its one of those films that if you don't get the satirical points and that it's meant to copy films like Triumph Of Will to show Fascism and Americanism fit like a glove it may go over your heads. One of the last clever left-leaning satires to come out of Hollywood. 3.5

14. MarcusArcus's rating of the film Starship Troopers

15. f-nanda's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Why I dont remember seing this as a kid, is beyond my comprehension.

16. Finbar Somers's rating of the film Starship Troopers

The satire isn't nearly as powerful as it's made out to be

17. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Classic sci-fi action and probably Verhoeven's last great film. Great big exploitation film doubling up as razor sharp satire. A very intelligent film that many people don't seem to understand.

18. cinegeek.de's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Ehre, wem Ehre gebürt: Starship Troopers ist der gewalttätigste Film für Kids, der je gemacht wurde! Das Geschehen ist genau abgestimmt auf die Vorlieben Elfjähriger und genau so sind die Romane von Robert A. Heinlein auf denen Paul Verhoevens Film beruht.(...)

19. Elle Johnston's rating of the film Starship Troopers

This film is tainted with the personal teenage angst attached to it. Every pivotal moment of my young life seems to have happened while watching this.

20. TheCinemaAdventurist's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Bloody gory sci-fi action, love story, and satire brilliantly woven together in a Paul Verhoeven classic.

21. Лиич's rating of the film Starship Troopers

how is this satire hahahhahahhahahahahah

22. Roberto Carlos's rating of the film Starship Troopers

A milestone of subversive cinema. Even more revealing in today's society than in 1997.

23. Cependant's rating of the film Starship Troopers

24. Thomas O'Neill's rating of the film Starship Troopers

Subtly good in many ways, and not so subtly bad in other ways.

← Previous 1 3 4