1. FISCHER's rating of the film Statues Also Die

Longtemps interdit puis mutilé par la censure française, le film n'a rien perdu de son actualité, ni de sa solide dénonciation, ici et ailleurs... www.cinefiches.com

2. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film Statues Also Die

As an anthropologist I had to watch this one a handful of years ago. Nice and engaged examination about material culture in immemorial african art , its instrumentalization in our western societies. I agree with the message but the film is a bit dated, intellectual and monolithic... to be true I've never been a great fan of visual anthropology documentations, including the work of the highly acclaimed Jean Rouch.

3. Kirill Sozinov's rating of the film Statues Also Die

Message to Man (Saint-Petersburg, 2016) Retrospective of Chris Marker

4. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Statues Also Die

5. B o g d a n's rating of the film Statues Also Die

6. bluehued's rating of the film Statues Also Die

When men die they enter into history. When statues die they enter into art. This botany of death is what we call culture.

7. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Statues Also Die

8. Alex Ander 0's rating of the film Statues Also Die

"Ford chez Tarzan" Brilliant ode to l'art nègre - and conversely its degradation by the Occident.

9. Thijmen's rating of the film Statues Also Die

More a film essay then a movie or documentary. But really powerful, great use of images, that blend well with the narrative. Remains as relevant today as it was back in the 50ies.

10. Wasunan T's rating of the film Statues Also Die

it's sad that this is the truth,and still is the truth.

11. Peđa's rating of the film Statues Also Die

When men die they enter into history. When statues die they enter into art. This bothany of death is what we call culture.

12. José Neves's rating of the film Statues Also Die

Cinematography by Ghislain Cloquet.

13. El Biffo's rating of the film Statues Also Die

Great work by ground breaker Chris Marker. A film of statues and masks. I have watched this many times in French; maybe some day I will get to see it in English, not that it matters a whole lot. Maybe if I knew exactly what they were saying, I would give it 5 stars, though!

14. bennievermeer's rating of the film Statues Also Die

Both a beautiful meditation on the nature of African art - with great black and white, almost abstract sequences of statues and sculptures - and a passionate condemnation of the way this has been reappropriated and domesticated by European colonialism. Read my full review: www.brnrd.net/blog/archive/2012/09/17/statues-also-die

15. Sudarshan R.'s rating of the film Statues Also Die

Why for f--k's sake is Robert Ryan's portrait on this page?

16. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Statues Also Die

Un interesante tratado antropológico el que ofrecen estos directores. Hay reconocimiento a las huellas culturales, y un aborrecimiento hacia quienes las ultrajaron. Más que un documental, es un ensayo crítico sobre cómo la modernidad lapida a ciertas culturas incipientes.

17. - -'s rating of the film Statues Also Die

I found the commentary kind of dull and sometimes even a little patronizing. Some of the images were interesting but I was really hoping for more from this duo.

18. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Statues Also Die

you can (and should!) watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzFeuiZKHcg

19. Yuki Aditya's rating of the film Statues Also Die

film essay extraordinaire!!!

20. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Statues Also Die

A stunning essay that moves imperceptibly between insightful obseravtions regarding art and its relation and endurance over time and society to a scathing commentary on today's consequences concerning the violent clash of Western/African cultures in the 50's.

21. Lefteris Becerra's rating of the film Statues Also Die

marker + resnais, pure joy. politics plus esthetics. the screenplay is as poetic as subversive. our relation to art defines our place in life. art as a symptom. amazing marker's insight to things and attitudes