1. El Biffo's rating of the film Stella Dallas

omg this movie breaks my heart

2. bernardovazdecastro's rating of the film Stella Dallas

It's far for being one of the best Vidor's work, still is a magnificent film and he completely broke my heart. Just a few women I could compare to Barbara Stanwyck (All that heaven allows, Imitation of Life, Mamma Roma, Mater Dolorosa or Mildred Pierce are rare exception), still is hard to find a more beautiful film about motherhood.

3. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Stella Dallas

One of Stanwyck's great performances. Very few can match her. Contemporary actresses intellectualize (sometimes brilliantly) but Stanwyck just lives it. I think her closest modern equivalent is Debra Winger, who isn't so modern anymore. Maybe Jennifer Lawrence, a bit?

4. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Stella Dallas

One of Barbara Stanwyck's best performances. Masterpiece.

5. souslesoleil's rating of the film Stella Dallas

Interesting in anthropological and social terms, though I didn't feel the lead female character was very strong at all. The crescendo building up at the beginning of the film, with Stella dreaming outside of her bounds, only led to show her superficial nature right until the end. But the developing mother-daughter relationship is really beautiful to watch, particularly the lesson on self-sacrifice.

6. raggiodisole's rating of the film Stella Dallas

Common people, know your place! Rich people, teach your kids to talk nicely about people! Above par melodrama

7. alimcintyre's rating of the film Stella Dallas

Classic early Hollywood weepy, not the normal thing I would watch. Even the skies wept at the end. Pass the Kleenex.

8. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Stella Dallas

9. Sophie Reason's rating of the film Stella Dallas

I found it surprisingly moving at times.

10. nora.b.r's rating of the film Stella Dallas

"Let me see her face when he kisses her, please"

11. Natty's rating of the film Stella Dallas

Stanwyck was so great in this :(

12. T.h. Marvelsteins's rating of the film Stella Dallas

First rate melodrama underpinned by a wry critique of the idle rich and their conventions. A heartbreaking tale of wisdom painfully won by a social climber at odds with the confining and contradictory rules of the elite. Despite all the trappings of excess, less indeed seems to be more in this world. In stark contrast, Stella conspicuously bubbles over with elan, life and love for her daughter. Stanwyck is stunning.

13. Renton47's rating of the film Stella Dallas

Remarkably unconventional drama which gradually builds into a tragic melodrama by defying any traditional structures and remaining seemingly plotless for at least the first half. Instead it develops a number of unique and respectful relationships which confound expectations and ultimately function as either a film about the sacrifice of motherhood or the corrosive nature of class. Empowering and very moving.

14. Tja's rating of the film Stella Dallas

Nothing faintly feminist about this. Girl lies to rich guy, marries him and behaves like a slut. Lovely.

15. Ayesha Casely-Hayford's rating of the film Stella Dallas

Beautiful and complex characters. Wonderful expressions of love and relationships, mother daughter, parent, child - society, "bettering ourselves" - survival. So fantastically captured in stunning camera shots. Focused so brilliantly on the eyes of these inspiring actors in so many moments, the eyes tell us all. In every stride, and flick of her fur, Barbara Stanwyck IS Stella Dallas.

16. SpacePirate's rating of the film Stella Dallas

This could potentially have been one of the sappiest films ever, but Stanwyck breaks your heart in several moments, particularly towards the end. Some very memorable moments here. Reminds me a lot of my parents and how they tried to raise me. 4.5 stars

17. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Stella Dallas

7/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1Rz

18. Trevor's rating of the film Stella Dallas

One of Stanwyck's essential performances, which automatically makes this a must-see, but it is also one of Hollywood's toughest and most emotionally complex melodramas. Stanwyck portrays Stella's many facets not as different characters, but as murky shades of the same complex woman, and, as a result, provides the emotionally consistency the film needs to make its tear-jerking moments work. And boy do they work.

19. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Stella Dallas

Both for herself and, more, for her daughter, Stella gains entree into a world she can't navigate. Eventually she sacrifices her place in the family for her daughter's benefit. Heartbreaking.

20. Daniela's rating of the film Stella Dallas

A film that's really funny unintentionally. The IMR Hollywood system at full steam, just as in Mildred Pierce . . .

21. Owen Sound's rating of the film Stella Dallas

Barbara Stanwyck can do more with melodrama than any other actor I’ve ever seen. She possesses a special ability to take something potentially sappy on the page and turn it into something genuinely honest on the screen.

22. mjgildea's rating of the film Stella Dallas

The story is nothing amazing but Barbara Stanwyck's performance and King Vidor's direction are worth the watch. The last 20 minutes are incredibly heartbreaking so have the box of Kleenex handy. I'd describe Stella Dallas as the nicer cousin of Mildred Pierce and Of Human Bondage. If none of these things are a draw for you, save yourself the time...

23. chanandre's rating of the film Stella Dallas

[Cinémathèque PT #564: 35 mm] (2007)