1. astygianelysium's rating of the film Still Life

Still life: 1) the painterly dimension of filmmaking; the camera settling on the immobility of scenes, the alternate boredom and vitality of a class of Chinese person whose life is structured around labour (and, hence, global capital) 2) life which still counts as life; life which survives and develops even as various forms of governmental demolition threaten to sever the populous from its forms-of-life

2. bryanvmh's rating of the film Still Life

Living in ruins, it's hard not to feel ruined.

3. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Still Life

4. kartina obskura's rating of the film Still Life

jia zhangke´s films don´t take me immediately, from the beginning, they grow in me slowly and crawl under the skin silently so i don´t even notice. it´s like when i read some of kafka´s short stories and the language and the subject seem perfectly ordinary and suddenly i find myself in wonder, how and where the course changed and i try to go back and read again in order to find that specific curve that changed

5. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Still Life

6. Dries's rating of the film Still Life

Ambientazioni e contesto socio-politico sono notevoli ma il film non ha la potenza degli altri lavori di Jia e soprattutto non coinvolge a dovere

7. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Still Life

The central event here serves as an uncomfortably apt metaphor-- but the sort of metaphor that can still fill your lungs and sink you.

8. Thomas's rating of the film Still Life

9. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Still Life

The moment when A Better Tomorrow is scene in the background is when I knew I was watching a very bold and intelligent film!

10. paxy's rating of the film Still Life

11. F.Bieberkopf's rating of the film Still Life

12. Lthm2's rating of the film Still Life

Has its moments, but never reaches its peak. Felt the story might have been told in a different way or order, if it wanted to be able to show what it wanted to show.

13. :::::'s rating of the film Still Life

I'm glad someone here mentioned A Better Tomorrow, because it's crucial to interpreting the film at the political level. I think basically every English language reviewer of this film has completely missed the commentary on mainland/HK relations going on, manifest in the character of Zhou Lin. Not only does he perform as Mark Gor, his ringtone is the theme song to The Bund, a Cantonese drama [...]

14. Keldon's rating of the film Still Life

aliens wandering through an unfamiliar world

15. Qiu Yang's rating of the film Still Life

16. noah's rating of the film Still Life

17. john saenz's rating of the film Still Life

18. msmichel's rating of the film Still Life

Clever but non-politcal examination of the cost of the modernization of China economically. The things that are displaced; towns, people, husbands, wives, history, a way of life. Film moves at a slow pace yet certainly casts its spell over the viewer who can't help but be awed at just what a project the three gorges dam project is and just how heavy the human cost in finishing it is. Even more affecting 2nd time.

19. Jason Joseph's rating of the film Still Life

Just had my 2nd viewing. Long takes, Long shots, and more fuel to the fire in the endless debate of Style VS Content. If I were Precious, I would consider this film a massive chocolate ice cream cake. Yummy. Better 2nd time around.

20. DJ White's rating of the film Still Life

Zhang Ke presents us with a film that plays out like everyday life as lived under surreal circumstances. “Still Life” is an elegantly composed, poetic film about how it feels to exist in a place where change happens so quickly it can never be grasped and time is marked by what will be under water next week. See my review at: http://japancinema.net/2011/08/25/still-life-review/

21. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film Still Life

An incredible work of cinematic art. The cinematography alone is astonishing at times. Zhang-ke Jia's Dong is a good companion piece, directed in the same year. The natural beauty of the Yangtze River and surrounding area stand in stark contrast to the increasingly rapid modernization transforming the landscape forever, as human beings are lost or even forgotten in such a whirlwind.

22. Hande Arslan's rating of the film Still Life

'A modern master of postmodern discontent, Jia Zhang-ke is among the most strikingly gifted filmmakers working today.' The New York Times. Still Life which won the grand prize at the 2006 Venice Film Festival is an intelligent film... Powerful story... Piece of art!

23. kowalski's rating of the film Still Life

24. xuxuxush's rating of the film Still Life

rigorous, astonishing, world-opening. The enduring humanity of Jia's characters gleam amidst industrial and economic dehumanization.