1. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Stolen Desire

2. patchwork's rating of the film Stolen Desire

Primo film di Imamura e giĆ  una garanzia. Deliziosa commedia che usa il teatro come metafora semplificata e idealizzata della vita: non esiste dramma che una ristata o un pubblico non possa curare

3. UnbrandedFilms's rating of the film Stolen Desire

Simple, uncomplicated plot. The characterization is a little too steretypical to have any depth, but it is well acted. Overall pleasant to watch.

4. Nick Moon's rating of the film Stolen Desire

5. DrFirestone's rating of the film Stolen Desire

Totally unexpected! A mix of deadpan/farce style comedy about kabuki actors' way of life, set in the late 50's. I enjoyed the setting, characters, decorations, great acting. Some of the shots are outstanding. Very good!

6. Paul Relf's rating of the film Stolen Desire

Harmless fun. Some amusing parts. No actual storyline really to speak of which is a shame. Still it's monochrome and Japanese so it would have to be absolutely awful for me to give it anything less than three stars!

7. raggiodisole's rating of the film Stolen Desire

One of the lighter-hearted Japanese movies I have known that is not slightly bonkers

8. Francesca Gavin's rating of the film Stolen Desire

Charming, beautifully shot ode to a passing age of theatre. Almost feels like an Italian neo-realist film but Japanese. Loved it.

9. Squashua's rating of the film Stolen Desire

One of those classic "dysfunctional group overcomes obstacles and personal differences to succeed" tales before the motif was even a thing. The most engaging parts for me were the in-house love triangles, although even that flatlined a little by the climax. Would loved to have seen more Kabuki, like the dream-esque Ezaburo headbanging, and less time flitting to pervy unemployed guys and stolen geese.

10. Marvin's rating of the film Stolen Desire

Imamura starts his career sharp, with this film filled with humor and bite. Great characters abound. This starts a round of Imamura titles I will be watching in Blu Ray presentations courtesy of Masters of Cinema and Criterion. I'm quite pleased with his first movie, and would watch it again in a heartbeat.

11. comeandsee's rating of the film Stolen Desire

the script is obviously restricting to imamura but he makes this into a funny, witty and impressive debut on a section of Japan living on the edge. the presentation of sex as libertation of the earth, is right there too. you can sense this film could belong only to imamura with the excellent female characters, the snappy dialogue and the physical comedy next to emotional tragedy.