1. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

(1.5 stars) I've really come to appreciate the brilliance of Diaz's ability to set up his camera in the exact right place. He really captures beautiful images on film. However, his ability to tell a story remains almost non-existent. If Diaz used a good editor, it might make his films so much more enjoyable. A great editor would help give him a better story and would elevate his cinematography into relevance.

2. Superfrog's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

Lav Diaz slow film works very well in the context, with the form sustaining the contents. And it is not 6 hours.

3. G.'s rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

Sequences like those that close this film remind me why struggling to stay awake during (most of) Diaz's films is a worthy endeavour.

4. Scott Dubin's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

I only watched for about an hour and fifteen minutes. It's interesting to see the visual of kids sorting through trash, and the cinematography is great, but I don't think I have the patience or attention span for this director's movies. It is interesting to think of kids scavenging through scraps of garbage in real life- rather than in the context of the sort of scifi films I'm more likely to watch like Star Wars 7.

5. Ludovic72's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

Comme toujours, Lav Diaz fixe sa caméra et observe très longuement (parfois, il accompagne quelqu'un). Bien sûr, les images parlent d'elles-mêmes : décombres de toutes sortes, déluges de pluie et inondations, navires emportés à terre par la tempête... On admire ces gens qui, tant bien que mal, continuent à vivre après le désastre. Mais la rareté des commentaires et des discussions nuit un peu au résultat... (3,5 / 5)

6. Dr.Cinemaniac's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

7. Jason's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

The domain of the observational documentary is well-suited to the Lav Diaz approach, to be sure. While his films often have the capacity to hypnotize (me at least), in the case of STORM CHILDREN I believe we are invited to engage in the kind of meditation that, far from involving a zoned-out bodhisattva zero-state, suggests thoughtful reflection. The gaze of this film is unobtrusive and far from manipulative. We see.

8. captainfez's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

Book one! Pretty sure I can wait for the sequel.

9. karl's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

This film is a 2hr20min mess. I get ethnographic documentaries but this is a slow, epic car crash. Had he focused only on the children that would have been great but the camera observes adults too so any investment of the viewer into the world of the children is shortchanged. Interviews and translations randomly occur blowing the poetic, and interrupting the observational work one invests again and again.

10. FISCHER's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

Un constat évident se dégage fortement de ce documentaire philippin, l'inaltérable joie de vivre des enfants, malgré les moult vicissitudes de l'existence... www.cinefiches.com

11. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

Some gorgeous imagery and effective individual moments don't quite make up for another tediously overlong filmed document by Lav Diaz. Worth trying to get through to those lovely final shots though.

12. nica's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

for whom does Lav Diaz make his films though? (2.75)

13. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

3 & a half raindrops and back flips. The importance of docs can seem to fade with apocalyptic headlines of a tragedy and its victims. Lav Diaz has dug deeper into the detritus of Typhoon Yolanda left behind in the Philippines community of Tacloban unearthing a spent human will on one hand, and an enormous spirit of that verb "to live" on the other. Storm Children, Book One is humanist scripture.

14. McOpinionated's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

Like a photojournalistic book, in film. I wonder if anyone watches without hitting fast forward. But that doesn't matter - just like the freedom to spend 10 mins looking at a page, or to skip, you have freedom to look for as long as you want. I skipped some bits, and rewatched others, and was rather non-linear. A great advantage of streaming. The dialogue was powerful, the images fascinating. Repetitive, detailed.

15. El Biffo's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

The incredibly patient lens of Lav Diaz does more than show us images. He offers us the time to feel what people are experiencing. This style of documentation is more about feelings than facts. As in FLORENTINA HUBALDO, CTE, there is a lot of time spent digging for treasure that isn't there. Diaz shows us that the treasure is time.

16. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

17. affasf's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

There’s no urgency to manifestate the megaphony of cinema. This time the traditional Diaz’s prosaic elaboration let the photographic report invade its cove. The intellectual responsibility encounters the inescapable permanence of the eye.

18. Nadin's rating of the film Storm Children, Book One

A moving documentary about the aftermath of typhoon Yolanda. Once more, Lav Diaz becomes a responsible artist who uses the medium of film to show utter devastation and just how little has been done to help the victims. Shocking in parts. More about this film on my website: http://iurl.no/k692y