1. Adam GR's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

Hitchcock, just like Minghella, handles Highsmith beautifully. The story slips its poison in like an IV. Almost immediately your viewership is provoked. Farley Granger gets himself into trouble. Farley Granger plays tennis. Farley Granger.......

2. Elephants Gerald's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

Patricia Highsmith sure loved the metaphor of closeted homosexuality as homicidal sociopathy. I found the homoerotic subtext of the Ripley character to be a more effective version of what she does here, but Hitchcock here is as tight and gleeful as he ever was.

3. chiathirdeye's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

4. Doe Deer's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

a dark blend of stellar sequences and unfortunate predictability

5. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

6. xrystyna's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

7. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

Extraordinary concept and adaptation of a well thought-out novel about two men who meet on a train and one of them encourages the other to "swap" murders, "I kill your wife if you kill my father". Filled with Hitchcock's notable dark humor, a memorable ending and the usual visual finesse that one expect from the master director, but it is Robert Walker's psychopath that leave a lasting impression.

8. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

Un onesto ***/ forse è più appropriato. H. ci regala una prima parte magnifica, con la scena magnifica della partita a tennis. Buoni gli attori, fantastico il ritmo di alcune scene (la parte sulla giostra), peccato per il finale.

9. enkii__bilal's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

Amazing and weak at same time.

10. jessetaylor's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

The carousel set piece had my jaw on the floor - I can't imagine how absolutely thrilling that would've been in 1951. Hitch does a fantastic job as always, but the suspense he got out that hurried tennis match in the latter half of the film was especially sensational.

11. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Strangers on a Train

watched this for the gay subtext and boy oh boy did it deliver, still kinda fucked that he had to use it to scare people but hey at least we evolved from that, right...?

12. bryanvmh's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

Exceptionally smart and monumentally dumb. It all gets to be a bit much but Farley Granger's mug means a +1, so four stars

13. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

Might as well have been called Rope part 2. Hitchcock certainly was enamored by queer villains but the upside is that they made for pretty slick killers. Strangers, is a good combination of witty dialogue and the suspense Hitchcock is so well known for.

14. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

15. NCMBianchi's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

16. sksksksk's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

17. hemachandra's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

Rewatched this film on a flight, as it was the only good film available. I found it not as good as I remembered.

18. Sara Sousa's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

3.5 Some brilliant sequences and shots; great cinematography. Good suspense in the first half - after that it became a bit predictable, sadly.

19. FISCHER's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

>>> Une grande réussite du genre, à la réalisation et au scénario irréprochables...www.cinefiches.com

20. wiwitaek's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

During first minute, I was thinking it was going to be another Rope, turns out I was wrong and equally great. Granger and Walker is a perfect match!

21. Alcock Hitchfred's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

22. redux's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

The open homophobia of 'Rope' reconfigured with innuendo. Poor ugly Hitch must have lived in a hell of sexual frustration.

23. dordairobert's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

24. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film Strangers on a Train

Rarely has the influence of German expressionism been mainlined so directly into noir. One of Hitchcock's absolute best, and like all his best, the complexity is not just in the plot or central narrative tension, but in the whole uncanny atmosphere of the movie - that synthesis of all its aesthetic aspects - whose blend of macabre liberation and unspeakable terror makes the theme park an obvious central location.

← Previous 1 3 4