1. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Stray Dogs

Tsai Ming-ling made a haunting and excruciatingly beautiful film on the relationship of the art and the viewer, which culminates in two of the most audacious shots I have ever seen!

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Stray Dogs

3. Domenico Ricucci's rating of the film Stray Dogs

4. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film Stray Dogs

4.5. With much effort in patience, this film becomes quite the meditative emotional-scape. Says so much with so little.

5. Nachtreich's rating of the film Stray Dogs

6. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Stray Dogs

7. Stefano De Putti's rating of the film Stray Dogs

non prende una stella in piu' per motivi personali

8. vordven's rating of the film Stray Dogs

9. OcioActivo's rating of the film Stray Dogs

Took me two tries to finish this film. It is an auteur that I simply fail to understand, not unlike Terrence Malick, but Stray Dogs is the winner. Out of MUBI's marathon, this film worked for me in its strange approaches and careful nuance.

10. nietzschicharonsky's rating of the film Stray Dogs

this movie was inspired by vine

11. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Stray Dogs

I love his films, but this one left me mostly cold. What once seemed like an ever-unfolding, patient discovery now feels like the deployment of a thesis.

12. samuele90's rating of the film Stray Dogs

Io c'ho un problema. Quando un'inquadratura fissa dura più di due minuti, e non succede un cazzo, mi distraggo. Quindi a una certa ho iniziato a pensare a cosa scrivere nella tesi, a cosa sarebbe successo se la mia ex avesse iniziato a farsi di crack, a perché il colletto della mia felpa sapesse di pancetta. Ma a parte questo, il film è bello. Forse troppi cinesi.

13. Matthew's rating of the film Stray Dogs

"There is only one bad scene in this." Yes, but unfortunately, that scene is literally 20 minutes long with virtually no action. Other extended takes, such as the opening scene and the cabbage scene were not at all problematic for me, but I feel the final scene was asking too much of the audience. And so we have this 1 hour 52 minute, beautiful and engaging sequence with a 20 minute, nearly-disqualifying denouement.

14. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Stray Dogs

Taiwanese Nothing-Core ventouring into the lives of all those many many unfortunate anonymous people we pass by every day.

15. Hipster McTool's rating of the film Stray Dogs

Tsai Ming-Liang almost dares the viewer to experience each sumptuously shot scene. One of the most honest portrayals of living on the fringe, with all of its tedium and uncertainty laid bare, this film hides nothing. And it takes the time to do it properly. It got a bit surreal toward the end for my taste, but I understand the intent. Stray Dogs is exceptional in social commentary as well as cinema.

16. Jefferson's rating of the film Stray Dogs

This movie punched me in the face.

17. El Biffo's rating of the film Stray Dogs

I share with this film maker a love for neglected/derelict buildings, and the spirits, both dead and alive, that haunt them. My favorite film of his is GOODBYE, DRAGON INN, filmed in a decaying movie theater. The family in this film is also neglected by civilization, but it is Miss Cabbage-Head who suffers the most.

18. Rice Dream Girl's rating of the film Stray Dogs

Stray Dogs is an absolutely heart-wrenching depiction of poverty and desperation. In the emotional landscape of the film, the few moments of happiness (especially when Yi Cheng and Yi Chieh are joking about the cabbage) are the most poignant. It can certainly be excruciatingly slow at times, but Tsai knows what he is doing, and his brilliant direction enhances the emotional impact in incredible ways. An amazing film.

19. Shandy Casteel's rating of the film Stray Dogs

The scene involving Cabbage Lee's fate gets a star all its own.

20. David R Williams's rating of the film Stray Dogs

"Tsai may well be cinema’s foremost connoisseur of defeat: the best chronicler we have of the temps mort between social reality and darkly comic dreams of despair." - Film Comment.

21. caitlin.f's rating of the film Stray Dogs

quite a bit too slow for my attention span, but beautifully shot & edited.

22. Shuo Chen's rating of the film Stray Dogs

I like the chicken drumstick scene

23. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Stray Dogs

No, thanks. Stay with the "I Don't Want to Sleep Alone", that is a masterpiece from Tsai Ming-Liang, not this pretentious and "adored" film.

24. Post Ironic's rating of the film Stray Dogs

Tsai Ming-Liang seems to taunt with an idea of narrative that the deeper you try to delve into the less that narrative seems to be relevant to the film you're watching. The film feels cold, empty, and slightly nightmarish: all this to great effect. It's captivating. There's despair here, but almost an apathetic form of it, where we're resigned to thinking despair is not so bad, no need for a redeeming hope. Strange.

← Previous 1 3 4