1. AdaRLD's rating of the film Summertime

Meh. 1 star for Venezia, 1 star for Hepburn.

2. steeeeellaaaaa's rating of the film Summertime

Such a beautiful film, the landscapes, the atmosphere, the dialog, everything is just so beautiful

3. Ethan's rating of the film Summertime

David Lean was one of the best who could craft tragic romances and make them look so beautiful. It's no Brief Encounter but it has just as much heartbreak and Katharine Hepburn plays it beautifully. Also the technicolor is amazing.

4. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Summertime

5. eugenie de sade's rating of the film Summertime

6. marco's rating of the film Summertime

7. Aardsy's rating of the film Summertime

My social anxiety beautifully filmed.

8. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Summertime

6.6/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2q1

9. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Summertime

I watched 'Summertime' and 'The River' as a double feature, so I feel inclined to rate them comparatively...the films were produced within four years of each other, 1951 -'The River'- and 1955- 'Summertime'. Both are generally focused on people outside of their native lands, the latter directed by an Englishman, about an American woman visiting Europe for the first time, whereas Renoir, the Frenchman, showcased...↓

10. HALLENSLEBEN's rating of the film Summertime

11. Log Lady's rating of the film Summertime

Delightful Hepburn makes Jane seem in turn giddy and wistful, and she captures perfectly that moment when you realize that you're lonely in a crowd, and you don't know what you're really doing there. Lean's trademark in the scenery photography works even in a small movie like this (Venice is like a character), and the only things that mar the film are the occasional cheesy dialogue and jumpy scene transitions.

12. alice's rating of the film Summertime

La Hepburn, a quasi cinquant'anni, mostra, in questo film, le movenze, la fisicità, il sorriso apertissimo di una ragazza. Il film si colloca sulla scia di "Breve incontro" e "Sogno d'amanti" (gli incontri casuali, i treni che separano, i baci scambiati nell'ombra, contro i muri).

13. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Summertime

While there's a lot of "ugly American" behavior played for laughs, particularly with co-vacationers the McIlhennys, Katherine Hepburn's turn as spinster Jane Hudson is a marvel of conflicting desires that play across her face as her brief encounter with an Italian businessman stirs fear, hope, longing, and trepidation.

14. Karthik's rating of the film Summertime

The story here is in some ways a MacGuffin, or rather a (sometimes too hectoring) trope, condensed, displaced, for the real drama: the love affair of the camera with a disturbing vision of beauty, Venice, and in that sense the heart of the film is in its first 40 minutes or so, & in the difference/repetition (campanile, doves, gondola ride, verandah of pensione etc) game played with those shots sporadically later on

15. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film Summertime

I've never suffered from any kind of post-holiday depression. Never. I loved the woman's personality and I laughed at how little the tourists have changed in the last 60 years or so.

16. lndah's rating of the film Summertime

OKAY OKAY, SYNOPSIS. I GET IT.

17. Zach Wood's rating of the film Summertime

I could save a lot of time by watching the movie rather than reading the synopsis.

18. Emre Mimaroglu's rating of the film Summertime

I agree that there are some cheesy scenes such as "Eat the Rissotto" but on the whole, this is soul capturing movie as it truly captures the loneliness of travelling alone and that of the short term excitement of meeting a stranger with whom to fall in love with. Great scenery shots as well. Must see.

19. Mark's rating of the film Summertime

Katharine Hepburn's performance in this film is as beautiful and inspired as the gorgeous Venice backdrop.

20. Caitlin's rating of the film Summertime

1950s Venice in glorious, vivid color. Hepburn conveys the heartbreak, excitement, and joy of romantic love.

21. DK's rating of the film Summertime

Beautifully photographed but honestly a lame little romance compared to Brief Encounter, and one of the worst scripts of Lean or Hepburn's career ('Eat the ravioli!') Watch it on mute.

22. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Summertime

Never has Venice been more romantic than in this wonderfully directed film by Lean that balances beauty, romance, and the loneliness of being in an unknown city.

23. Adam Suraf's rating of the film Summertime

A truly gorgeous film; a love letter to Venice, and Katharine Hepburn, who is radiant as a lonely American traveler abroad for the first time in her life.

24. fleur de chair's rating of the film Summertime

"EAT THE RAVIOLI"?! More like "throw up everything I've ever eaten."