1. Juan Javier's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

2. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

3. sahandmohajer's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

one of my favourite Marker films. So many beautiful images, I am glad to have seen it in such high quality on Mubi. This film has one of the most down-to-earth narrations of Chris Marker's film essays with the english voiceover being very soothing.

4. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Those colors! Marker stablishes a cut in time that survives time itself. Watching this today, a feeling of nostalgia remains: there's no space in contemporary life for this slow pace living. It's subtle and naive, as if we - the viewers - could not stop time from the edge of our seats. This film may seem a bubbly portrait of China, but it's more than dreamy scenes. It's a kind of reality none of us can alter anymore.

5. captainfez's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

6. katerpink's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Charming, colourful journey into Peking with bright sky. Director focus on people, who are joyful and talented. I would rather see it without the narration.

7. caro's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

"A feast of colours" as Chris Marker mentions it. It's so nice to see Beijing half a century ago, sunny, with an amazing blue sky and with so many flashy colours. It has changed a bit since then which makes this "time machine" even more pleasant to watch.

8. Sa's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

9. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

10. EdieEmm's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Do we say: he wryly portrayed China as spectacle, as a subtle comment on the impossibility of his ever achieving anything but an outside-in perspective? Because it's Chris Marker? I dunno. It felt like exoticism and exploitation... I wish the audio had been in French; that didn't help. This strange American; part mid-Atlantic radio narrator, part auctioneer - probably trying to sell me something. But the Kodachrome!

11. Ludovic72's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Déjà intellectuel et poétique, le cinéma de Chris Marker n'était pas encore entré dans son ère expérimentale. Il ne s'agit pourtant pas d'un documentaire "classique", tant le discours reste volontairement subjectif et littéraire. Le découpage mêlant la vie quotidienne et la grande Histoire chinoise reflète aussi les états d'âme de l'auteur. Evidemment, la naïveté des propos laisse maintenant assez songeur. (3,5 / 5)

12. Tibulle85's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Un documentaire léger, au ton original, marqué par la subjectivité d'un narrateur omniprésent, au phrasé quasi-proustien aussi hypnotisant et (parfois) tortueux que les rues de la vieille ville de Pékin. Chris Marker nous délivre une "carte postale" idyllique et fantasmée (et donc aussi très naïve...) d'un pays qui s' enfoncera 2 ans plus tard dans l'horreur du "grand bond en avant" maoïste.

13. DrFirestone's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Charming, warm, and personal. Shot on 16mm Kodachrome film, now restored, looks absolutely stunning; and literally transports us back in time to the mid 1950s China. The footage itself is a treat, but I especially loved how it was enchanted with warmth and hope for the future. I think the commentary wasn't necessary though, and the experience would have had more impact if the images were left to speak for themselves.

14. tohmi.tesuri's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Having Marker's name attached to this short documentary piqued my interest however, aside from the glorious colors and occasional wry commentary it was all a little bombastic and high tension. The footage was fairly nondescript and the editing a little too frenetic for me..

15. FISCHER's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

on retrouve avec plaisir ces commentaires pertinents, acidulés et brillant d'un Chris Marker fin et subtil, sa marque de fabrique... www.cinefiches.com

16. ysbil's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Chris Marker in English ? It's annoying since the voice-over is so important in Marker's work. Should Mubi give priority to original versions ?

17. lou.'s rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Chris Marker carries the audience in wonderland: this is a dream! His subtle and delicate storytelling makes Běijīng looking like the best place to be on a spring, sunny and relaxed day. Just for one day. Nevertheless, « La Jetée» still remains the film I love the most – and I've probably seen them all. Honorable mention goes to the opening credits and to Agnes Varda, 'consultant in Sinology'. ❤ #ChrisCats

18. Pierre.F's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Grave cool : à la fois les images et le texte qui contient parfois beaucoup d'humour et affiche un regard impertinent sur la réalité du communisme. En fait, c'est un documentaire plein d'esprit.

19. nvmore's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

one may still find capitalism in china, but there are no flies

20. Klaus-hart's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

Les films de Chris Marker mêlent le plaisir du rêve, de la poésie et du souvenir aux réflexions les plus aiguës sur le sens de ces choses. Dimanche à Pékin m'impressionne par son intelligence et sa beauté.

21. Cependant's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

22. Jason's rating of the film Sunday in Peking

I have seen a great many of Chris Marker's films and videos (even owned that CD-ROM he did), but this was nonetheless as bracing as a face-full of ice water. That's too gentle. This went off in my life like so much ordnance. A truly disarming machine gun loquacity at play here. It comes flying at you, and this is stuff as brilliant and profound as anything to come out of France post-Montaigne.

23. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Sunday in Peking