1. Simon's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

2. Didonne's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Un des meilleurs Ken Loach que j'ai eu l'occasion de voir. Un film non plus gris mais noir. Comment l'amour, avec son lot d'illusions, peut conduire à la chute de jeunes hommes à peine sortis de l'enfance. Remarquablement bien mené.

3. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

I’d be laughed out the room for saying these films weren’t of the left - they are - but for me it’s always the humanist reading of a situation that chimes; not crude dialectic, because it’s always the people we care most about and it’s as much about human frailty as failure of a system (which is our frailty or failure - and so society goes on...) To misquote: ‘we’re all only a few inches from the gutter’ anyway.

4. oucholuvzyou's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

5. ach's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

I am pretty sure that I will never watch it again.

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Un Ken Loach de grande cuvée ! www.cinefiches.com

7. Cichlisuite's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

A great Ken Loach film. Thoroughly believable in its gritty portrayal of a brash Scottish lad coming of age and trying, in a less than ideal situation, to find a way to do some good but running into obstacles at every turn.

8. Superfrog's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Works well but I am starting to find Ken Loach stigmatizing; there is little good to be found in the working class in he film.

9. taniaburrito's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

10. cosmicambience's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Continues much of the conventional post-war social realist lineage - homosocial emphasis, absent fathers, poetic expansion of rural landscapes, the Angry Young Man - and situates it within a signatory Loachian moral didacticism, condemning the cyclical patterns and discursively violent language of toxic masculinity and substitutive capitalist exploitation. Bleak but constantly engaging.

11. Mike Jempson's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Another grim reminder from Ken Loach about the powerlessness of the impoverished. Brilliant naturalistic performances, as ever.

12. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

The 400 Blows, brutal, beautiful.

13. jeremy's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Brutal logic leading to inevitable tragedy.

14. SafeStanding's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Only Loach can direct such a gritty and violent dose of British social realism and you sit back at the end and think 'that was enjoyable'. The master of masterpieces.

15. Penelope q's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

16. miles's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

17. Ri White's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

18. Katherine Lo's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Not just another film about underprivileged teenage angst, this one does not make cool of drugs and troubled homes, just good acting and sincerity. Nothing too dramatic, nothing too outrageous; just enough to make you feel something.

19. James's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Cold, bleak and unrelenting. Reminds me a bit of Trainspotting for obvious reasons, but without the comic relief. Shows that there is loyalty and love in depravity that we so seldom get to see.

20. smndvdcl's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Unglamorous social realist gangsterdom brought to life. Loach paints a dystopian warped vision of 'The American Dream' in Scottish heartlands. An uncompromisingly bleak portrait of an under-privileged adolescent's only hope of money and power. It comes at a price.

21. Emile Tremblay's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

22. noice's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

23. MARION's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Stark, gritty and gut wrenchingly real. At times endearing, others deeply saddening. Compston's stellar performance endears us to his character, a good boy caught in a hopeless situation making the final scenes all the more devastating. I think I need to go and watch some Disney now.

24. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen