1. FISCHER's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Un Ken Loach de grande cuvée ! www.cinefiches.com

2. Cichlisuite's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

A great Ken Loach film. Thoroughly believable in its gritty portrayal of a brash Scottish lad coming of age and trying, in a less than ideal situation, to find a way to do some good but running into obstacles at every turn.

3. Superfrog's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Works well but I am starting to find Ken Loach stigmatizing; there is little good to be found in the working class in he film.

4. taniaburrito's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

5. cosmicambience's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Continues much of the conventional post-war social realist lineage - homosocial emphasis, absent fathers, poetic expansion of rural landscapes, the Angry Young Man - and situates it within a signatory Loachian moral didacticism, condemning the cyclical patterns and discursively violent language of toxic masculinity and substitutive capitalist exploitation. Bleak but constantly engaging.

6. m.jempson@btinternet.com's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Another grim reminder from Ken Loach about the powerlessness of the impoverished. Brilliant naturalistic performances, as ever.

7. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

The 400 Blows, brutal, beautiful.

8. clancy108@mac.com's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Brutal logic leading to inevitable tragedy.

9. SafeStanding's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Only Loach can direct such a gritty and violent dose of British social realism and you sit back at the end and think 'that was enjoyable'. The master of masterpieces.

10. Penelope q's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

11. miles's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

12. Ri White's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

13. Katherine Lo's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Not just another film about underprivileged teenage angst, this one does not make cool of drugs and troubled homes, just good acting and sincerity. Nothing too dramatic, nothing too outrageous; just enough to make you feel something.

14. JL's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Cold, bleak and unrelenting. Reminds me a bit of Trainspotting for obvious reasons, but without the comic relief. Shows that there is loyalty and love in depravity that we so seldom get to see.

15. smndvdcl's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Unglamorous social realist gangsterdom brought to life. Loach paints a dystopian warped vision of 'The American Dream' in Scottish heartlands. An uncompromisingly bleak portrait of an under-privileged adolescent's only hope of money and power. It comes at a price.

16. Emile Tremblay's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

17. noice's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

18. MARION's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Stark, gritty and gut wrenchingly real. At times endearing, others deeply saddening. Compston's stellar performance endears us to his character, a good boy caught in a hopeless situation making the final scenes all the more devastating. I think I need to go and watch some Disney now.

19. nyyssonen's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

20. Karel Arnaut's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

Loach has made wonderful movies but this is definitely one of his very best. The fine balance between structure (behavioural patterns, expectations, stereotypes) and agency (affection, desires) makes this film into a gem of critical cinema.

21. Jørgen Lien's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

There's often more to admire than to like about many Loach films. His heart is beating for the marginalized and the downtrodden, but his determinism can cross over into sadism. I'm sure the fault's on me, but I had to guard myself against the inevitable turn for the (even) bleaker by keeping my distance emotionally. The scenes with the little felt like Loach was just raising the bar on miserabilism. Still a good film

22. Onbestendig's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

23. mahee ferlini's rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

24. J. O.'s rating of the film Sweet Sixteen

As expected, Ken Loach crafts a realistic portrait of a lower class teenager struggling to have a normal life with his mother once she's released from prison, but is instead tied up with crime and violence. Compston was fantastic energy to be discovered, and the supporting performances were gritty and realistic. The last moments of the film sting and the bitter irony of the film's title really settles in.