1. Aardsy's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Man's nature to go out and get the things he wants.

2. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

3.5, Splotches of verite styling over the Welles-ian frameworks are amusing. They mark a transition from one era to another, just as the screenplay pulls the rug out from under show business but still lets itself be seduced by its power structures. Sorkin def. thinks his dialogue is half as clever as this, but not even steady actors (excepting Burt) can keep their heads afloat. Though who would want to (not Curtis)?

3. JCPJD's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

This feels so current! A New York narcissist attempts to control a woman's body through smarm, aggression, toxic masculinity and fake news. The cast are on point, especially the three leads. Mobile phones mean this kind of film can't be made anymore - the whole thing would be done on watts app. We need to get creative with our storytelling if we want to bring this kind of charm and atmosphere back to movies.

4. Scottie Ferguson's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

That jazz score, gorgeous cinematography (neon NYC <3) and one of the best screenplays ever written grinds against the amorality and crooked ambition of everything going on, but I could wallow in it for days. Unbelievably good.

5. Maudy Puteri Agusdina's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Whoa... just whoa. At first, I felt a little bit difficult to follow the whole story but once it went fast, it was super intense it made me crazy. Indonesian review : http://cinemaudy.blogspot.co.id/2017/06/sweet-smell-of-success-1957-panggung.html

6. hemachandra's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Tony Curtis' performance is one of the best I've ever seen

7. FISCHER's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Chef-d'oeuvre du film noir américain pour une superbe composition de Tony Curtis et Burt Lancaster qui forment un duo d'acteurs pour le moins étonnant... www.cinefiches.com

8. smndvdcl's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

A damning indictment on the vindictive, score-settling, Machiavellian nature of the news industry's predilection with smear and gossip. With great power comes great responsibility and with the platform to 'make news', integrity often remains in short supply; such power often can be a tool to further one's own agendas. Mackendrick's archetypal framing masters a representation of jealousy, control and revenge.

9. bitchwitched's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

The story about a bunch of assholes you'll want to quote all the time who almost get away with murder.

10. marco's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

11. bulgrin's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Great acting, outstanding camera work, great story. Very cynical, and desperate. Perfect movie.

12. msmichel's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Essential cinema. Classic script by Clifford Odets from an Ernest Lehman treatment/story revels in the evil that men do for selfish purposes. Unsuccessful on release the film has found its fans over the years. Lancaster and Curtis are both remarkable in unlikeable roles embracing the pettiness and lack of morality in their characters. Exceptionally shot by Howe and scored by Elmer Bernstein. Simply great.

13. jonijtr's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Damn, that dialogue, sharpened very well. One blink and you'll miss everything

14. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

As american as the star spangled banner

15. elif jazel's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

a classic from top to bottom.

16. mubianer's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

I expected a little bit more, it was too much focus on dialogue, not the raw energy of the works of Mann, Aldrich and Fuller, to name some directors of the era. Favourite part of the film: (Spoiler alert) The suicide attempt scene.

17. Y.'s rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

"Maybe I left my sense of humor in my other suit"

18. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Seems to me JJ had a weird complex towards his sister too explicit for a 1957 audience.

19. ihor's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Seeping with good old American cynicism, yes hard work is the key to success as long as the hard work is full of plenty of grease! Snappy dialogue and clever characters the bring the best of classic American cinema along with subtle looks at contemporary American life being captured from corruption to patriarchy and authority. The only bother is the simplistic subplot which acts a means for the film's main themes.

20. José Neves's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Cinematography by James Wong Howe, music by Elmer Bernstein and Chico Hamilton Quintet. Now that so much is said about movies with political/social message and the most one gets are precarious exercises, here's how we get a milestone:with a voracious camera chasing and build the spaces around and between characters, running a permanent visual support of an extremely intelligent dialogue launched at the frame rate.

21. ABVH's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Get's a little soapy in the last 5 min. But masterpiece nevertheless. 4.5

22. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

23. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success

Hustle and street wit in New York cities columnist atmosphere. The grimy jazz of the film is exciting and entertaining in its sleaze and moral decay. It follows immoral men and the consequences of their actions. Great performances and gorgeous black and white photography. A seminal picture about news culture.

24. richardlawrn's rating of the film Sweet Smell of Success