1. Gisèle Kérosène's rating of the film Sweetgrass

2. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Sweetgrass

I wish more documentaries were like the ones produced by SEL....

3. bryanvmh's rating of the film Sweetgrass

Unfortunately shifts its focus from the sheep to the shepherds gradually as the movie progresses. It's difficult to expect a movie to "speak" for animals, but damn are these sheep impressive.

4. naokoken's rating of the film Sweetgrass

Some of the pan and zoom in shots were amazing, like moving abstract paintings. The field recordings by Ernst Karel were beautiful. Being in the midst of the sheep herd with the droning bleating and repetitive flow of the bodies was hypnotic. Old John saying "How can a dog like me when people don't". Someone replies "Huh?" and John says "I don't know what I said. Just talking."

5. Zac Weber's rating of the film Sweetgrass

The filmmakers have created a documentary that captures a way of life completely foreign to me, but one that was nonetheless riveting and absorbing. I loved the shot of the flock trotting through town.

6. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Sweetgrass

Maybe just 3.5 , who knows - I'm the target demo for this. Humans become characters about 30-50 minutes into the movie - our introduction is concerned with the noble sheep, the noises they make. Then it turns toward an anthropology, and ethnography, concerning the symbiotic relation between sheep, dog, horse, and man. Then, a final rite, a brief justification for why we may record this, or record things at all.

7. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Sweetgrass

<Insert joke here about Harvard grads making love to sheep>

8. Ben Loory's rating of the film Sweetgrass

there's a distinct drop in interestingness in the second half, but the first part is A++

9. David R Williams's rating of the film Sweetgrass

One day the filmmaker thought...sheep raising....now there's an interesting idea for a film. And surprisingly it was..and is.

10. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Sweetgrass

The knee will give out, eventually.

11. Sal Gal's rating of the film Sweetgrass

I didn't expect to like this but it's a gem.

12. saltwater's rating of the film Sweetgrass

So relaxing... watch the sheep roam through beautiful mountains and fall asleep to a chorus of baaas. Not very exciting, but did you really expect that?

13. THE APOLL0's rating of the film Sweetgrass

Some great filmaking in the beginning and the first half of the film as a whole but the ending fell short compared to the beginning.

14. crystal meff's rating of the film Sweetgrass

When the birch polypore mushroom is boiled and stretched, it produces a fabric......very similar to the melody of this film.

15. Feng Ling's rating of the film Sweetgrass

Interesting journey. But now I have seen a sheep pooping while givinggiving birth.

16. Miles Sofa's rating of the film Sweetgrass

17. Drew Kelly's rating of the film Sweetgrass

Interesting that a film can be almost anti-emotion and yet still be so powerful. I love this approach: capturing a sense, feeling, accrued over experience in doing something (inthis case herding).

18. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Sweetgrass

Mejor es su primera parte, para cuando los mamíferos son los protagonistas. Hay una fascinación por el sonido grave que enaltece con la mudez humana. La rutina de la naturaleza y lo inanimado, entre su simpleza, evoca el sosiego. Lo mejor de los directores es la indeterminable búsqueda de puntos de vistas. De primer plano a general. No es lo mismo ver al rebaño de cerca y desde el cenit de un acantilado.

19. zsa zsa's rating of the film Sweetgrass

20. Sunrise's rating of the film Sweetgrass

While Frammartino's recent work seems to capture more intriguing sheep imagery, Sweetgrass does paint an amazing contrast of creatures placed within forced positions. The handling of the lambs seems devastatingly harsh in the hands of these Montana ranchers, but only before we observe the shepherds in the unforeseeable hands of nature and time! Amazing moments of natures' rough nurturing and harsh disregards!

21. Trevor's rating of the film Sweetgrass

The rejection of sentimentality is both oddly reverential and so hypnotically hyperreal, it morphs into something surreal and mysterious, without undermining the gritty observational style of the filmmaking. A brilliant template for the (let's hope) future of ethnographic nature documentaries.

22. mpho3's rating of the film Sweetgrass

Beautifully documents "the end of a way of life — another wondrous American ritual and tradition, largely lost to the contemporary world." (Mike Willmington, Movie City News) Though I wouldn't call it boring, don't watch if you're sleepy otherwise, well, you know what the old wives say about counting sheep.

23. Alex Denison's rating of the film Sweetgrass

If Terrence Malick in his prime were to have made a documentary, it would probably be something like this.

24. Matt Parks's rating of the film Sweetgrass