1. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Swimming to Cambodia

STC has a minimalist, neurotic theatricality that translated into a New Yorker 'Talk of the Town' resident vibe which in 1987 made one divine: a dash of Joe Frank,a dollop of Saturday Night Live, a touch of the Wooster Group, a sprinkle of St. Mark's or the 92nd St Y--then, stir in a few drops of confessional diarist and we have one uniquely gifted to tell his and our tales. Spalding Gray did that very well.

2. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Swimming to Cambodia

3. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film Swimming to Cambodia

"Swimming" is my least-favorite of the filmed Spalding Gray monologues, but I say that in the same way "The Dark Knight Rises" is my least-favorite "Dark Knight Trilogy" film: it's not the best, but it's still clearly the work of a master. While this monologue as a whole is more random and less narratively sound than his later pieces, the individual stories told within are golden, as is Gray's ability to tell them.

4. Dječak Luka's rating of the film Swimming to Cambodia

Spalding Gray, oh you beast you! :(

5. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film Swimming to Cambodia

play WITH the ocean & she's a ...

6. Earth's Impossible Day's rating of the film Swimming to Cambodia

My first Spalding Gray experience. What a mad genius he was! "I had an inkling, I had a flash... I suddenly thought I knew what it was that had killed Marilyn Monroe... "