1. Juan Javier's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

2. bucharestaesthetics's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

3. bagno's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

in memoria di vittorio cannaeate

4. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

Oh no! Constructivist movie!

5. Gretastick's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

it made me think about how much time it took to make this back then and how little would it take now. and how everything is still the same.

6. B o g d a n's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

7. marinos@agxivatein.com's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

One of my favourite abstract films of all times. A must-see for visual music enthusiasts.

8. msmichel's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

Very early abstract experimental film and the only film from director Viking Eggeling.

9. EdieEmm's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

Conventional sensory divisions mask the underlying synesthesia that rules the word of our minds. Here, Eggeling conducts the beginnings of an experiment in the possibilities of cinema to dissolve those arbitrary impositions of rationality (dying, unfortunately, before it was done.) Philosophy via stop-motion. Impossible to rate.

10. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

these were important times for experimental film, but this feels very cold and classical to me. I prefer the warmth of Man Ray and the French school....but I respect this nonetheless.

11. Kamran's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

So progressive and rhythmic. 80/100 - Great.

12. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

Similar Richter etchings would grace the covers of Dada poetry booklets. It's wonderful watching them in motion.

13. JaredMercer's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

Fun to watch for a minute and get an idea of old film techniques.

14. A-H-H-H's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

Obviously, astonishing for 1924. Diagonale needs the scratches and dust.

15. dr0nestar's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

awesome! reminds me of frederick sommers musical drawings

16. Marco Bevilacqua's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

A short experimental film, but more a practice of art expression and an interesting way to enhance the composition line/shape. It feels like a scientific study of human perception.

17. ludovico's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

music experience, without sound. You only have to imagine.

18. aaa88's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

19. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

It's always an interesting experience to watch this film from the musical point of view: Eggeling tries to build motfis and an equivalent to musical phrases by using different kind of shapes and movements. I highly appreciate the music to this film by Austrian composer Olga Neuwirth (it can be found on YouTube): It not only transforms these elements into sounds but also highlights the impression of Eggeling's film.

20. HSBilly's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

there's a music silently playing in my mind while seeing this symphonie

21. Balder Strååt's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

Is the synopsis supposed to repeat itself? ;p

22. Brandon Nowalk's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

New to a-g but these kinds of shorts always feel like practice, playing with composition and balance and editing and light/dark but playing nonetheless.

23. Vaxdockan's rating of the film Symphonie diagonale

Om det vore möjligt skulle jag tatuera in hela diagonalsymfonin över min kropp.