1. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

2. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

3. Nachtreich's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Passion et fatalité dans une oeuvre remarquable de sensualité exotique et d'inévitable destinée qui clôt une filmographie remarquable... www.cinefiches.com

5. Khach Aloyan's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

6. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

7. mlstrx's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

despite being only 85 mins, this could've done with ten minutes or so being cut. beautiful though, amazing acting. impressive shark for 1931

8. Sergiu Scripcă's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Whatever artistry it exhibits is mostly buried under all the faux-anthropological exoticization.

9. Ciprian Ailenei's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

10. Leigh Collins's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Spellbinding. Beautiful to watch, without any need for dialogue.

11. Mar ~'s rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

well, I was pretty confused with this movie, sometimes the story became silly (in my opinion) and also the love story seemed totally irrelevant or plain. Although I wouldn't want to make the mistake, because it's not a so simple movie and it does has other "hidden" meanings.Although they were not that meaningful for me, there were some good scenes or moments however it left no mark on me.

12. Thomas's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

A beautiful, heartwarming love story set among the idyllic islands of the South Pacific. No doubt Murnau would have adapted most proficiently to talking pictures, had he not died so close into their infancy (just a week before the film's premiere). But this shows that his own voice and vision as a director were already at a remarkable and intelligible height.

13. Michael King's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Enjoyable film well paced with a fine score, ends wonderfully.

14. innersmiff's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Simple tragedy of forbidden love in the tropics. Beautiful and idyllic but little wow factor.

15. Ben Cook's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Admittedly difficult to stay entertained having been spoilt by the talkies, but the exotic setting and imaginative mix of soundtrack and picture was beguiling enough to give it a chance. Upon that, the classic star-crossed lovers narrative, and just a pinch of novelty on account of its age left me glad to have watched it.

16. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Great movie, beautifully shot with a fun and fitting sound track. Love and beauty in the tropics, with waterfall frolics, pearls, sharks and flowers galore. With the fearsome tabu running underneath the whole time.....What's gonna happen? More paradise? Or peril..... Watch and see!

17. Alex's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Murnau has such a command over his images, be it for a complicated story or a simple story, he knows exactly what to do at each moment to give his films the appropriate richness (Sunrise is another example, and Faust, well, that transcends critique being so perfectly detailed..). Murnau is someone I want to dedicate my film life to studying, he will most assuredly point me in the correct direction as I grow.

18. Julia Miville's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

19. Kathryn Winz's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Awesome visually - I wish I knew if the story is the slightest bit authentic. It seems like a Western romance to me, So: 5 stars for filming, 2 stars for story. I someone convinces me this is real Tahiti mythology, I will change my review.

20. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

21. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Beautiful, dreamy, romantic, exuberant. At no moment did I feel fully "overtaken," but by the film's end I felt a peculiar feeling that tells me I have been witness to something of great love. Often visually delightful.

22. Loz Loory's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

Incredible. Thank you, MUBI, for bringing us a film I didn't even know existed. The plot is a magnificent conflict between community-oriented living with its lack of emphasis on individual wants, and "modern" free market society with its emphasis on individual achievement. Beautiful cinematography. A great lesson in how much dialogue is superfluous. Running barefoot on those volcanic rock beaches takes tough soles!

23. David R Williams's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

"...a haunting, lyrical, and beautiful film from the man who most internalized the peculiar and strictly visual language of silent cinema." - Brandy Dean.

24. Willyzacc's rating of the film Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

De très beaux plans, une belle histoire, mais un manque criant de rythme.