1. Roslyn's rating of the film Taking Off

This has been on my 'to watch' list for some time now. Well worth the wait. A great film looking into the middle class anxieties of parents and their wayward children. The parents smoking pot scene is very funny in a whimsical kinda way. Seeing Tina Turner rocking out was a great bit too.

2. ebabehh's rating of the film Taking Off

A riot. "You can fuck the Astros and all nurses in white. You should fuck the uglies just to be kind and polite. You can fuck the Moon and June and the Sea. But before you fuck them first you must fuck me."

3. josé neves's rating of the film Taking Off

35mm. In 71, Forman looked to North-American society, contextualized in a peculiar space - that of New York, a social laboratory of immense changes - as he looked at the Czech society in times of family and cultural dismemberment. Adopting a very similar structure and playing with a sharp parallel editing, he was responsible for a key piece of the cinema that came from that city in that decade. Superiorly fun.

4. redux's rating of the film Taking Off

Gutsy of Forman to continue where he left off in Prague, but the same gaze, looking for the awkward and the grotesque, applied to a different society, poses the question of validity. At its best, this is a series of American portraits drawn by a stranger, similar to Steinberg's. At worst, it's like compulsively cracking old jokes in company, in a bid to be accepted.

5. Empire345's rating of the film Taking Off

absolutely weird film, smelling pot and girls choirs... you said strange, this is strangely unconventional

6. El Biffo's rating of the film Taking Off

1970's New Hollywood! Milos Forman's first American feature is a gem. "Squares" get begrudgingly assimilated into counterculture and the hippies get absorbed by capitalism. It's fiction, but it's real and it's funny. Fabulous cast led by Buck Henry. Vincent Schiavelli pays himself in a scene which is priceless. Cameos by Carly Simon, Cathy Bates and Allen Garfield, and a knockout performance by Ike & Tina Turner!

7. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Taking Off

I love the smell of New Hollywood in the morning

8. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Taking Off

Interesting to see how the concept of Liberty is differently understood if you are a Czech director who's had to live in an authoritarian state or if you are an American citizen deprived of nothing. Let us learn our lesson. And don't miss Kathy Bates singing! Recommended.

9. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Taking Off

This was the generation gap defined by hair. I thought the intercuts with the auditions were brilliant. While the pot smoking scene seems timeless, the poker game drunkenness seemed over the top. Drunks being funny stopped being funny after 'Arthur' (1981), and maybe a bit earlier than that.

10. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Taking Off

2 and a half anti-authoritarian sanctimonious yuks. These bell-bottom movies date poorly for me, but Buck Henry was once a god.

11. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Taking Off

Humour served extra dry, with a classic “pot smoking at the ball”-scene that I felt I’d seen before although I hadn’t seen the movie. That classic. Also quite a weird movie, if you stop to think about it. Children run away, the parents get drunk and play strip-poker. And then there are all these girls singing folk music.

12. Teona Gal's rating of the film Taking Off

children, take care of your parents

13. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Taking Off

Just re-watched. Hilarious. Brilliant editing. Lynn Carlin is absolutely splendid, already having loved her from Deathdream and of course Faces. I'd really love to have a drink with her... And while this IS hilarious, it's also incredibly moving in the most subtle way, in the way that the photos of Rineke Dijkstra's youth are so striking: innocence, vulnerability, perfect imperfections of youth, bittersweet nostalgia

14. patchwork's rating of the film Taking Off

dopo un inizio superlativo, mostra decisamente più la corda (e l'età) quando si butta sulla satira di costume

15. analeorne's rating of the film Taking Off

I seriously want to make love with this editing.

16. (arc)'s rating of the film Taking Off

i found this soundtrack on vinyl a while ago and I've been searching for a copy of the movie ever since. I WANT IIIIIT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

17. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film Taking Off

Screwed up a lil' bit by secondary acting skills and terrible editing, but is rewarding in a way. You can feel that it's been made by an European looking on America with a pair of his own glasses, which has its upsides and downsides, but joint smoking sequence of scenes is brilliant though!

18. Abby.'s rating of the film Taking Off

I thought it was excellent. Hopefully Criterion will release it on DVD at some point.

19. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film Taking Off

It's a very funny outsider's look at America circa 1970

20. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film Taking Off

I see this being on Criterions release schedule in the next 6-12 months

21. Edward Brooks's rating of the film Taking Off

theres some great live footage of ike and tina turner in this film which can be seen on youtube