1. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Taking Off

Interesting to see how the concept of Liberty is differently understood if you are a Czech director who's had to live in an authoritarian state or if you are an American citizen deprived of nothing. Let us learn our lesson. And don't miss Kathy Bates singing! Recommended.

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Taking Off

This was the generation gap defined by hair. I thought the intercuts with the auditions were brilliant. While the pot smoking scene seems timeless, the poker game drunkenness seemed over the top. Drunks being funny stopped being funny after 'Arthur' (1981), and maybe a bit earlier than that.

3. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Taking Off

2 and a half anti-authoritarian sanctimonious yuks. These bell-bottom movies date poorly for me, but Buck Henry was once a god.

4. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Taking Off

Humour served extra dry, with a classic “pot smoking at the ball”-scene that I felt I’d seen before although I hadn’t seen the movie. That classic. Also quite a weird movie, if you stop to think about it. Children run away, the parents get drunk and play strip-poker. And then there are all these girls singing folk music.

5. Teona Gal's rating of the film Taking Off

children, take care of your parents

6. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Taking Off

Just re-watched. Hilarious. Brilliant editing. Lynn Carlin is absolutely splendid, already having loved her from Deathdream and of course Faces. I'd really love to have a drink with her... And while this IS hilarious, it's also incredibly moving in the most subtle way, in the way that the photos of Rineke Dijkstra's youth are so striking: innocence, vulnerability, perfect imperfections of youth, bittersweet nostalgia

7. patchwork's rating of the film Taking Off

dopo un inizio superlativo, mostra decisamente più la corda (e l'età) quando si butta sulla satira di costume

8. analeorne's rating of the film Taking Off

I seriously want to make love with this editing.

9. (arc)'s rating of the film Taking Off

i found this soundtrack on vinyl a while ago and I've been searching for a copy of the movie ever since. I WANT IIIIIT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

10. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film Taking Off

Screwed up a lil' bit by secondary acting skills and terrible editing, but is rewarding in a way. You can feel that it's been made by an European looking on America with a pair of his own glasses, which has its upsides and downsides, but joint smoking sequence of scenes is brilliant though!

11. Abby.'s rating of the film Taking Off

I thought it was excellent. Hopefully Criterion will release it on DVD at some point.

12. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film Taking Off

It's a very funny outsider's look at America circa 1970

13. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film Taking Off

I see this being on Criterions release schedule in the next 6-12 months

14. Edward Brooks's rating of the film Taking Off

theres some great live footage of ike and tina turner in this film which can be seen on youtube