1. Richard Tines's rating of the film Targets

UNSEEN I liked "The Last Picture Show", and they're featuring early Bogdanovich on another film channel, but I don't want some idiot to go on a shooting spree so I can't watch this. Doesn't sound that interesting anyway. Had we but world enough and time, this idleness would be no crime..., Sounds and looks like Taxi Driver without the existential grime, or the Driller Killer (also haven't finished) without the acid.

2. Django's rating of the film Targets

A remarkably strong film considering all the constraints behind its creation. Bogdanovich shows a sure hand as both a writer and director (although not so much as an actor) in this his first real outing and Karloff gives one of his better late career performances.

3. Graveyard Poet's rating of the film Targets

By far Peter Bogdanovich's best (and most underrated) film--a taut and tense thriller inspired by the August 1, 1966 Charles Whitman shootings at the Texas Tower in Austin.

4. Mirela Dudaş's rating of the film Targets

5. Mohammad Ebrahimian's rating of the film Targets

6. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Targets

Bogdanovich could use a bit of Corman mojo these days.

7. James Mackin's rating of the film Targets

A great film on the changing face of the horror industry.

8. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film Targets

9. QuincyArthur's rating of the film Targets

Karloff was cool but I was bored a lot

10. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Targets

Un ícono del terror reflexiona sobre su retiro al afirmar que su estereotipo es caduco, generándose a su vez una nueva forma de terror. Bogdanovich no pudo pensar en mejor actor que protagonise al héroe de su película. Karloff parece sacado de una western. Envejecido aunque con una esencia inmutable. Se percibe en un cuento narrado o cuando enfrenta a la muerte. La tensión y el biopic de un veterano son lo mejor.

11. nargs_au's rating of the film Targets

It's dark yet also charming, never thought I film could do that.

12. Shayan Bazri's rating of the film Targets

It's something more than a masterpiece, first & one of the serious genius cinephilia minded work.Paracinematic.

13. patchwork's rating of the film Targets

14. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Targets

15. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film Targets

16. Landen Celano's rating of the film Targets

If I were forced to pick one film that embodies the change from classic Hollywood to modern Hollywood, it's this one. Almost 50 years later and it's still unsettlingly relevant.

17. Bill Rosenfield's rating of the film Targets

Surprisingly effective, effecient and compelling. It's low budget works in its favor. Very enjoyable and shockingly prescient.

18. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Targets

★★★★★ the real horror is always offscreen.

19. Matt Keane's rating of the film Targets

Been wanting to see this for ages and it surpassed my expectations. I was not expecting it to be so tense and gripping, nor for it to be quite so prescient regarding gun control and how the media has created a society desensitized to violence. Karloff brings an old school style and class which reinforces the shooters emasculation and alienation. One of the greatest directorial debuts I have seen.

20. Howard Orr's rating of the film Targets

"Targets" is important because it marks the point where the pathologies of serial killers became the new dreamscape of cinema horror. The film essentially acts as a metaphor for the death of Karloff's metier, perhaps because his brand of horror refused to step out of the screen.

21. Craig B's rating of the film Targets

Terrifying, cold and brilliantly assured; and, thanks to Karloff as Orlok, full of wry charm, too. Utterly memorable filmmaking.

22. heather mcdonald's rating of the film Targets

absolutely superb study on the exploitation of fear.

23. Aimee's rating of the film Targets

i appreciated the concept and the great portrayal of an aging horror star played by Boris Karloff, but i felt the story was a little underdeveloped. i heard its Karloff's favorite film he did

24. chanandre's rating of the film Targets

[Cinémathèque PT #560: 35 mm] (2007) - my favorite Bogdanovich film of his. Probably the triangle made of Bogdanovich, Corman and Karloff. The Hitchcock-style of directing and a kick-ass script. No classic soundtrack. That all helped, i'm sure.