1. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film 10

This one really packs a punch: Kiarostami crafts a social commentary on the place of women in Iranian society in the form of basically an avant-garde video short. Not to say it's "overlong" as a feature, but it has the feel of a short.

2. Richard Tines's rating of the film 10

What feels occasionally like a contractual stopgap makes up for it's mostly static camera by way of some great writing (sometimes the things people say, especially the cab driver herself, come off as a modern, jaded Khalil Gibran)...all in all not a bad way to spend an hour and a half, and it's whetted my appetite for more Kiarostami films....

3. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film 10

I don’t know how Kiarostami managed to make a film that feels both like an exercise in formalism and a profound piece of humanism, but here we go!

4. Walker's rating of the film 10

A radical digital film. "Cinema starts with Griffith and ends with Kiarostami" -JLG

5. lstpd111's rating of the film 10

this film got me out of a terrible movie viewer's block. an instant favorite.

6. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film 10

7. Jugu Abraham's rating of the film 10

Evidently, this was the precursor to director Jafar Panahi's film "Taxi" (2015). Kiarostami has made the better film of the two, discussing social issues in contemporary Iran, while Panahi's film deals with both social and political issues, with the latter being predominant. The child actor (Amin Maher) and the lead actress (Mania Akbari) are both commendable in their roles. In real life they are mother and son.

8. kinotopia's rating of the film 10

some of Kiarostami's earlier films seem to hint at misogyny with the relative absence of female characters or their limited presence seemingly diminished as inconsequential. so here you have an independent woman crafted to be so tremendously conceited, self-destructive, and apathetic who can only empathize when there's an opportunity to be didactic and you have to wonder what the goal was.

9. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film 10

10. ShawnD's rating of the film 10

This is not a brilliant movie or even particularly clever. What it is, is very well done. It's edited with precision and takes delight in its limitations. Based on "Ten," it's safe to assume Kiarostami had little sympathy for those who needed a bigger budget or even those who feared censors. With enough skill, neither is an impediment to cinematic storytelling.

11. thelastronaut's rating of the film 10

I kept thinking of Jafar Panahi's "Taxi" which I saw a couple years before getting around to "Ten". I feel Panahi does so much more with a similar style (a film shot almost entirely in a car to illustrate the political and social realities of Iran). Maybe I am biased too because I am not a big fan of movies with static shots.

12. Joel's rating of the film 10

A masterful minimalist-as-maximalist work shot through with a deep humanism that somehow powerfully devestates in it's final act. Elevates the moments in the life of an Iranian woman, from the simple to to the sublime. Absolutely worth the watch.

13. Joana China's rating of the film 10

14. miles's rating of the film 10

Night on earth mixed with Vivre Ca Vie, Non fiction style. Great film.

15. ermete polpette's rating of the film 10

16. AdrianM.'s rating of the film 10

Just saw this at the cinema where Mania was a special guest, pretty neat

17. Warren Spratley's rating of the film 10

Breillat is correct to address the film's absence of image & mise en scene--the viewer's relationship to the screen is utterly tranformed by the stylistic limitations--but such a profound statement from one director about another does a disservice to the way such restrictions mythicize every gesture, every touch of light, every movement towards the outside world. Pure thought filtered through cinema; RIP, Kiarostami.

18. EdieEmm's rating of the film 10

At once intimate and voyeuristically distant. An interesting piece of cinema that makes up in its nuanced formalism what it lacks in satisfying content. My third Kiarostami, and I'm noticing that this is a pattern. Clever, but not all that fulfilling.

19. David Fleming's rating of the film 10

An interesting film that shows a slice of life in Tehran, shot with dash cams completely in a car. So no plot as such. A lot of dialogue that can be tedious at times, especially in the extended conversations with the driver and her son. Worth seeing for the experience.

20. David R Williams's rating of the film 10

The fourth star for the minimalism - one car, one camera, two camera angles - well one actually either focused on the driver or focused on the passenger. Back and forth conversations that reveal more in what is not said than in what is. No car chases. No explosions. The human condition considered all within the confines of a single frame. Mania Akbari is radiate. I could have watched her for another 91 minutes easy.

21. ronny's rating of the film 10

at times, the style can be a bit irritating, but eventually those feelings fade away as you realize you're witnessing conversations ripe w humanity.

22. Bekriah M's rating of the film 10

I've postponed watching this film for years now, and I'm glad I finally did. Simple and touching, astute acting. The familiar Kiarostami effect of obscurity: Is this real? Is it improvised?

23. Dan Roy's rating of the film 10

Surprising to learn this was considered strange and experimental when it came out. This is a wonderful, simple, engaging and surprisingly moving film that reminded me of what a little shit I could be growing up even without the backing of a regime.

24. Landen Celano's rating of the film 10

Obviously one of the best pieces of DIY-digital cinema.

← Previous 1 3 4