1. aybala.d's rating of the film Tess

2. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Tess

Sad and believable drama about a strong-willed woman who is only loved for her looks and not for having a life and mind of her own. Nastassja Kinski proves to the world with this film that she also can act and in this film it is easy to see why someone said she looked like a young Ingrid Bergman showing both beauty and intelligence.

3. William's rating of the film Tess

The photography in this is extraordinary. It absolutely belongs in the pantheon of the most beautifully shot films ever made.

4. spasmolytic's rating of the film Tess

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Tess

D'un splendide roman de Thomas Hardy, Polanski a fait une scrupuleuse adaptation qui a le mérite de la qualité et de l'esthétisme, folie et dépassement en moins...

6. msmichel's rating of the film Tess

Had the chance to see a re-mastered issue projected at TIFF lightbox representing my first viewing of the film since the eighties. Polanski offered a mostly faithful if subdued adaptation of the Hardy classic with the contributions of the artisans involved often overcoming the performers. Kinski makes a fine Tess evolving from timid peasant to firebrand over the 3 hour runtime. Winner of 3 Academy awards.

7. Dalibor's rating of the film Tess

Underrated movie adaptation of a Victorian novel, excelling, above all, in staggering photography and convincing 19th century mise-en-scene and screenplay. The rest is an outsider tale safely within the genre boundaries with just enough of authors own signature.

8. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Tess

I know about his dire background, but I still cannot imagine a grain of wheat between Polanski's fingers...

9. Anca Tudose's rating of the film Tess

Great cinematography and costumes with an accurate portrayal of misogynism in the Victorian Era. And of course, Nastassja.

10. ceknklsn's rating of the film Tess

11. EmiEmi's rating of the film Tess

Pefection. Best photography, best decoration, best costume. You won't forget Nastassja Kinski. And for Joe Wright and is fans, i strongly recommend you all to see this movie…he's going to change your lives.

12. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Tess

13. Joe Hackman's rating of the film Tess

Being beautiful and poor has its ups and downs.

14. Joyce's rating of the film Tess

too much sunshine and gold green light, I couldn't resist. an elegant rendering.

15. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Tess

16. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Tess

When I finally read the novel, I was surprised to find how much more physical, visceral it was. Like Barry Lyndon, an airless adaptation-- not at all a criticism, though.

17. Muraki's rating of the film Tess

18. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Tess

8/10, my review:

19. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film Tess

I don't really know what to conclude. It has moments of affecting drama and is constantly beautiful (Nastassja Kinski is a screen goddess). However, the length seems unearned with sequences that evaporate in my memory and most male characters are just complete douches. Even other feminist films at least give their male characters SOME dimensions. Still, overall, it's worth watching.

20. n/a's rating of the film Tess

Polanski’s grotesqueries recede to subtleties and Kinski, with a storyline reliant on tiny narratorial incongruities: the contrast of the tranquility of the countryside alongside the inner turmoil of the characters; the profusion of crossing paths, roads, intersections, entrances, and exits; and at last beginning with the end credits, signifying from the outset some haunting irrevocabilities...

21. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film Tess

22. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Tess

Victorian literature and its fixation on tragedy.just another reason for why Oscar Wilde was the best XD

23. filmcapsule's rating of the film Tess

Equal parts achingly romantic and deviously cruel. Anyone who doesn't see Polanski in this isn't looking hard enough.

24. kokeshi's rating of the film Tess

"Perché sei così attratta dall’infelicità?" Beautiful!