1. Malt Frisky's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

Buñuel's final film shows what I think is the personification of the meaning of Lust. Something that sparks uncontrollable desire and outright violence when unattainable. It's meant to be admired, but never touched, and the dynamic that goes back and forth between Conchita and Mathieu shows that there is only one multiple face person truly in control that represents one of the 7 deadly sins in it's manipulative ways.

2. Flashy's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

A brilliant surreal final movie of Buñuel on desire and frustration, with the female lead played by two actresses who are both equally but differently alluring. Against a backdrop of frequent terrorist attacks that are regarded as mundane.

3. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

There are thought-provoking questions to be found in this film about obsession, ego and sexual politics. But, overall, I was left cold by it. It's too distant to work on an emotional level, and it's too down-to-earth to work as melodrama. The big scenes have some effectiveness, but the smaller scenes are pretty dull. I've heard people refer to this film as a comedy; I don't really see where the humor is.

4. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

Ángela Molina's proud smile and beauty brought back memories of the first girl i fell in love with. It's also the only noteworthy thing in this film. It's ironic that the Cahier du Cinéma critics considered Bunuel an auteur when his direction, his cinematic pen, is just as pedestrian as those found in the french and british "cinéma du qualité" that they so abhorred.

5. lausn's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

6. jeremias goth's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

the first bunuel I thoroughly enjoyed. ironically it is his last one, I understand; formidable meditation on life, desire and subjection and I love that sack as well

7. Marco B.'s rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

8. Jacques Guyot's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

This is a film not about desire in itself but rather about desire as it is constructed through social and literary conditioning. Two actresses play the Carmen-like leading lady, hearkening to a long tradition in French and Spanish comedy; Rey's character narrates his obsession to an inquisitive group of train passengers eager to prop him up. A masterwork about gender and class dynamics and the texts that shape them.

9. malachiesipucheala94's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

10. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

The structural irony underlying the whole film is that solipsism can never be ultimately fulfilling. If the rest of the world is only ever a collection of objects the sole subject can never truly be fulfilled.

11. Paul's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

Bunuels style really comes in handy with this story. By not diving to deep into the world of the surreal but only giving us elements of it the main motives of the film can be seen from so many different angles and acutally reach an emotional connection to the audience. The performances are absolutely stellar and the whole piece is a grand finale for one of the masters of the art.

12. DenoResandono's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

This final movie from director Luis Bunuel is absolutely one of his best movie. THAT OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE - I think - the best movie which described the complexity of love perfectly. Luis Bunuel described the meaning of love in most surreal way. I understand everything that happened in the movie. But I didn't quite understand the true meaning of those surreal things. Carole Bouquet was very beautiful in here...

13. Johannes Black's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

During a train journey from Seville to Paris, an ageing, French philanthropist recollects the various scenes of his ill-fated love affair with the virtuous, siren-like Conchita. It would be Buñuel's final, directorial effort, completing career-long preoccupations with sexuality, society, as well his explosive, surrealist roots. Look once, and you see a film; look twice, and you slip into the imagination of a genius.

14. Horia Constantinescu's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

15. Veronika Wellings's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

Absurd story and using two different women for the same person very strange. One passionate the other cold, could it be illustrating the contrary nature of women? I am not even sure if Bunuel enjoyed making this film, his last. And what did the explosion signify at the end of the film? Why finish in that manner? More questions left in my mind trying to comprehend this story.

16. Andi's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

The actresses playing Conchita are fantastic. What's the significance of the sack?

17. raggiodisole's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

18. Spezialle_K's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

19. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

Another fantastic film from Luis Bunuel, this is a tale of love, lust, and power dynamics. Fernando Rey is the man who loses his mind for a woman, and Carole Bouquet and Angela Molina both play the woman that he falls for. Although not as surreal as a number of other Bunuel films, this is just as smart and amusing as fans of his work would expect it to be.

20. Troy Sloan's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

Like Conchita; frustrating at times yet fascinating to watch.

21. McOpinionated's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

There's no fool like an old fool. Gender politics takes a nap... or grabs you by the short-and-curlies...? Money, age, power, violence, sex, desire, ambition, eroticism, entitlement and revolution. What a mix --- I can almost smell the pungency coming from the screen. Who's afraid of those big bad wolves? Me! The protagonists terrify me. I've never understood antagonistic relationships, but I know they exist. Magic.

22. Adam Laurence Pitt's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

23. goulton green's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

The phenomenal final scene: a shopping arcade - the comfort of admittance to the superego (marriage?). The bag gets emptied. Its content cast out and mending of love becomes at same a public show and preserving of archaeology (he is sentimental), an act of commerce (shop window), theatre, illusions. Old outdated definitions and stereotypes are blown up by around the corner advancing violent acquisitions of freedom.

24. PA's rating of the film That Obscure Object of Desire

Inside a relationship it is difficult to know what is true and what is not. One becomes so consumed by the 'object' of ones desire that there is nothing but ridicule. Love invokes the strongest feelings but when it goes awry.....A superb film