1. Nick Schwab's rating of the film The Addiction

At face-value, the turning-vampire being a philosophy student is as obtuse and pseudo-intellectual as its quote-unquote witty idea. The digressions are forced in themes as much as its didacticism is freshman-year in its discourse. It wasn't until I realized that it's actually vamping on the sad presumption that higher academia alone means surefire success and greater understanding, that I loved it as a work of art.

2. letters never sent's rating of the film The Addiction

This is pretty excellent but perhaps the type of film you either like or loathe.

3. Enkiled's rating of the film The Addiction

I wanted to like it, but the lack of depth and even style made it so disappointing. The 10 minute vampiric bacchanal ending was about the only source of joy for the themes' afficionados. The rest is kierkegaardian rambling and some Vietnam snapshots. Boo fucking hoo. Edit: Nevermind, this was fine, I now realise there is worse in the genre. Rerated it to 3/5

4. FISCHER's rating of the film The Addiction

Nous n'en démordrons pas, c'est sans intérêt et même prétentieux... www.cinefiches.com

5. Gia de Almeida's rating of the film The Addiction

We get it, vampirism as a metaphor for addiction, nice. Ferrara establishes the metaphor and has no clue of where to go from there so, after that it's a rather dull, repetitive affair. If this was all he had he should have gone for a short, this would have been brilliant as a short.

6. Egoisms's rating of the film The Addiction

Terrible script. People speak as though reading from a quotebook, from whose lean pickings they got their bad understanding of philosophy. The central metaphor is shallow & overwrought, & contemplating human evil via images of genocide is cliche & out of place in NY & thus a cop out. The visuals, though, are stunning. I'm sure I'll return to them again & again. Reminds of E. Merhige & Lynch's intervalometer shots.

7. Barrett.'s rating of the film The Addiction

A hidden gem of a vampire film shot in stark B&W featuring a great performance by Lili Taylor and a cool cameo from Christopher Walken.

8. eva's rating of the film The Addiction

Academia as vampirism. Well, I can relate.

9. In Prague's rating of the film The Addiction

For the record: tempestuous name-dropping doesn't amount to philosophy just as casual bomb dropping challenged here won't add up to strategy. Wish Ferrara did what Kafka had attempted in Metamorphosis and Painlevé in underwater docs: recreate another species' Umwelt not through the lens of human Umgebung, our so-called objective space we impose scruplelessly upon all the rest, but from the changing alter-human angle.

10. -REM-'s rating of the film The Addiction

11. Balthaz21's rating of the film The Addiction

12. Silbutamal's rating of the film The Addiction

13. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film The Addiction

Questionning human condition and the meaning of life in the devastated world and existential sickness we are living in. Heavy program but partly convincing exercise here. If I were Ferrara I would have chosen an other leading character to express his thoughts on those questions…anyway subjective opinion. The film got his scenes of excessive violence which remind me his earliest films, notably "the driller killer".

14. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Addiction

This is a fun film with all the proper metaphors in place. It gets nice and bloody, too.

15. El Biffo's rating of the film The Addiction

Great vampire film in Black & White with Lili Taylor, Annabella Sciorra and Christopher Walken, who is oh-so perfect as a seasoned, jaded vampire.

16. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Addiction

2-3 Lacks something in the way of consequences, but brings a number of morbidly interesting ideas to the table as a vampire film. To be clear, I don't mean that further representation of these ideas makes the film better, so much as the fact that the film may have somewhat found a new way to explain 'vampire' as a concept, while aligning with trends that are familiar to the vampire genre.

17. ammar's rating of the film The Addiction

18. cinegeek.de's rating of the film The Addiction

Our Daily Free Stream: Abel Ferrara - The Addiction. Gruselig, witzig und herrlich lächerlich! Das hier ist bestimmt das prätentiöseste B-Movie überhaupt! Das mit philosophischen Zitaten angereicherte Skript über einen rasenden Greenvich Village Vampir schämt sich nicht, Verweise zum Vietnam Krieg oder den Nazi Camps zu ziehen(...) (Dazu gibts unsere Film List mit postmodernen Vampirfilmen auf cinegeek.de

19. mamafih's rating of the film The Addiction

20. Fabiha's rating of the film The Addiction

"I finally understand what all this is. Now I see, good lord, how we must look from out there. Our addiction is evil. The propensity for this evil lies in our weakness before it. Kierkegaard was right. There's an awful precipice before us. But he was wrong about the leap. There's a difference between jumping and being pushed."

21. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Addiction

A classic for anyone who has defended a dissertation.

22. ikkini's rating of the film The Addiction

Ferrara connait son sujet et ça se sent !

23. AdrianM.'s rating of the film The Addiction

maybe philosophy is not my thing...

24. Lord_Beria's rating of the film The Addiction

Philosophy my gothic ass. Soundtrack ok