1. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film The American Friend

Why have I not rated this film? Great movie.

2. José Neves's rating of the film The American Friend

Digital restoration, rewatched. Ganz, Hopper. Kreuzer, Fuller, Nicholas Ray, Eustache, Gérard Blain, Schmid, Castel, Müller, Patricia Highsmith, Hitchcock and trains, North- American novel, film noir, thriller, European contemplative new-cinema, deconstruction. There was a time when Wenders knew how to orchestrate so much diverse great components to a fascinating concrete unity.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film The American Friend

Du travail de qualité, riche et dense qui honore le 7ème Art... www.cinefiches.com

4. MistaRichard's rating of the film The American Friend

A rather pleasing release from Wim Wenders that shines mostly for Bruno Ganz's performance and the unique cinematography Wenders has gotten us used to.

5. Rice Dream Girl's rating of the film The American Friend

A thrilling film about a desperate man's willingness to make himself a pawn of the criminal element. The friendship between Jonathan and Tom is bizarre and wonderfully portrayed.

6. Johnny Seeker's rating of the film The American Friend

Are Wim Wenders and Geddy Lee the same person?

7. ali di pollo's rating of the film The American Friend

alla noia c'è un limite e qui Wim, caro mio, l'hai superato. Le stelline sono solo per le inquadrature

8. Nolan Barth's rating of the film The American Friend

This is an incredibly well made film with some stellar performances from both Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. You can see how influential this film is, it's impacted everything from the Coen Bros all the way to Breaking Bad. However I just found myself not connecting to the story or the characters. I feel like I need to give it a second chance and rewatch it though.

9. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film The American Friend

Enigmatic, atmospheric and wonderful. I was completely lost in the sparse story and characters. One of Wenders' best.

10. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The American Friend

11. Aardsy's rating of the film The American Friend

Great atmosphere and several wonderful scenes.

12. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The American Friend

A solid thriller that in parts I believe Hitchcock would be proud of. Especially in the moments on the train, which seems to be directly pulled from the likes of The Lady Vanishes, and Shadow of a Doubt. Beautiful cinematography, subtle but bold at the same time. Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz give especially good performances.

13. Marta Donati's rating of the film The American Friend

(4.5) Why is this so good please I cry. It makes no sense to complain about the slowness of this film: this is one of the films in which Wenders acknowledges that his cinematic language differs from Hollywood's. He didn't go for Strangers on the Train. He went for something different, and he aced it. Oh, and Bruno Ganz is immense. Dennis Hopper is Dennis Hopper. But that's good, no?

14. Ethan's rating of the film The American Friend

One of my favorite films from Wim Wenders, this is an exceptional thriller. Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz have great chemistry and play off of each other brilliantly. We even get two great director cameos from Nicholas Ray and Sam Fuller.

15. HSBilly's rating of the film The American Friend

hopper,ganz,ray,fuller,eustache, and highsmith. what's not to like....

16. Dzernera's rating of the film The American Friend

one of the most strange-paced pieces of Wim Wenders for me personally. brilliant characters, fucked-up plot. not that typical Wim Wenders soft road-movie you'd expect but still wonderful and mesmerizing in its own way.

17. James Mackin's rating of the film The American Friend

Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz commit art-related crime, and fight Samuel Fuller and Nicholas Ray, cameo mode. Fun stuff.

18. miles's rating of the film The American Friend

just re-watched this with commentary, incredible.

19. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The American Friend

I can never remember anything about the plot-- it's more about Ganz squirming in his own skin.

20. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The American Friend

I never felt the connection between the Ripley character and Dennis Hopper. It just seemed like Dennis Hopper. I definitely enjoyed it because it was so offbeat. I've always loved Bruno Ganz. I think the best Ripley has been Damon. I didn't feel it with Malkovich or Delon.

21. angelicidea's rating of the film The American Friend

Is it a road movie? Is it the most beautiful deception? Where did the Lynchian atmosphere come from?

22. Dan's rating of the film The American Friend

The brilliance of Dennis Hopper's Tom Ripley is something that, like most things in Wenders' film, creeps up on you. It's a strange free floating adaptation of Ripley's Game that ticks all its narrative boxes in a completely unexpected and human way way.

23. Adam Laurence Pitt's rating of the film The American Friend

An intriguing, if not completely successful, 'thriller' built more upon atmosphere than narrative thrust. Although it lacks the clarity of Wenders very best work the cinematography and lead performances impress

24. youngdoug's rating of the film The American Friend

Dennis Hopper channelling his war photographer character in Apocalypse Now became understandable when I learnt that he played this part straight off the plan from the Apocalypse film set. Not so much a plotless movie as a movie that deliberately hides its plot - a very different creature and not one I like. Only saved from oblivion by its cinematography.