1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The American Soldier

That final shot may be one of the best in cinematic history. The rest of the movie is quite good as well. Reminds me a bit of Alphaville, but then so do a lot of things.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The American Soldier

Compromissions et malhonnêteté dans le milieu de la police. Edifiant. www.cinefiches.com

3. EdieEmm's rating of the film The American Soldier

Saw this at the theatre beside someone who laughed like a stoner, loudly and randomly, throughout the film, so this one may require a re-watch... But no amount of irritation could erode that spectacular ultra-noir beginning. And I can't think of *anything* that could touch that ending... Clever and wacky and gorgeous and fun. The Walsch quote was perfect.

4. film_lies101's rating of the film The American Soldier

Least essential of the trilogy but definitely the most mockingly satirical

5. miles's rating of the film The American Soldier

not the best I have seen of his.

6. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film The American Soldier

"Well Fassbinder would disagree with you about Kurt Raab, he put on his list..." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/05/episode-58-first-fassbinder-episode.html

7. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The American Soldier

I love how the graininess of this film!

8. Francisco R.'s rating of the film The American Soldier

There's a powerful spareness to it, and the ending shows an audacity that for a moment gave me the illusion that I saw an important work. But overall it made me think just how little Fassbinder thought of the medium.

9. El Biffo's rating of the film The American Soldier

"Walsch. W as in war, A as in alamo, L as in Lenin, S as in science fiction, C as in crime, H as in hell." A perfect cocktail of elements, styles, and formalities, served up in a glass of 1954 film noir.

10. Warren Spratley's rating of the film The American Soldier

Though I love KATZELMACHER and GODS OF PLAGUE, this seems to me to be Fassbinder's first full-blown masterpiece.

11. Stevie's rating of the film The American Soldier

Entertaining throughout and an ending that ranks with one of his most memorable.

12. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film The American Soldier

By turns frustratingly opaque, deadpan funny, and stunning, especially that final shot, which is pretty much a visual thesis statement for Fassbinder's whole career.

13. thrym's rating of the film The American Soldier

last scene :) ...so much tenderness...rip günther kaufmann

14. This is Jake Kath's rating of the film The American Soldier

The final installment of the loose gangster trilogy feels slightly short on ideas but there's something just damn sexy about Scheydt. He chews every scene with his masculine charm and cold deliver. He's defiantly the type you would bring to the dinner table to intimidate your family. Aside from that, the ending is stellar and yes, all the same deft sensibilities are at play, which is nice.

15. Ethan Vestby's rating of the film The American Soldier

Well I mean the whole thing was about bodies coming together, right?

16. DSPRKY's rating of the film The American Soldier

Most dramatic ending of ALL TIME. This would have been a three-star effort, but the casting and the the gangster/hitmen concept bump it up to 4. (Well, 3.75.)

17. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film The American Soldier

for sure, you can see a kernel of lynch and jarmusch slowly beginning to take shape. orson welles' visual leanings in touch of evil are developed into a style. unfortunately the script is just a collection of one liners that have no real cohesive impact. i felt a great lack of humanity here, especially when compared to jarmusch.

18. micmac●'s rating of the film The American Soldier

I loved the last scene of this, I just wish it was justified by the preceding 70-odd minutes.

19. Zachary Phillip Brailsford's rating of the film The American Soldier

Very interesting, and the last shot is one of the craziest things I've seen put to film. Fassbinder was one crazy mother-trucker! Savvy

20. Law's rating of the film The American Soldier

Fantastic film! I implore all who read this to drop their laptops, somehow find a copy of this film and report back 70 minutes later.