1. Hippie Anime Trash's rating of the film The American

2. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film The American

A quiet and moody character-driven thriller with impressive visuals

3. Robert H. Stevens's rating of the film The American

An interesting, slower pace thriller.

4. Ordet Ordet's rating of the film The American

5. Cassidy Bell's rating of the film The American

6. Slow Immersion [Joe]'s rating of the film The American

7. tsamaroden's rating of the film The American

"It's endangered," says Mr. Butterfly of the butterfly landed on Mathilde. This scene sums up the whole film for me. Exquisite production, beautiful landscapes, patient and assured execution of plot. We've seen this story before, but Anton Corbijn brings such grace to the proceedings, that I forgive him for it. And George Clooney has never been better.

8. Admir U Gomila Nacrta's rating of the film The American

9. Gena's rating of the film The American

So boring. No thrills. Predictable. Embarrassing symbolism. Too bad.

10. Operation Kino's rating of the film The American

Clooney's little dialog suits him well.

11. Thomas's rating of the film The American

Sleek crime thriller filmed with a refreshingly serene pace and rumbling tension. Highly artistic cinematography, to an arguably distracting degree.

12. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film The American

I love George Clooney, but not all his movies. He too often does not meet my requirements. But forget it; "The American" does. I guess, I have watched this 10 times. Still good, very good. Everytime I see more details I was not aware of before. Anton Corbijn got his share, for sure. All characters are wonderfully performed; in every detail. Great movie.

13. Umberto Damiano's rating of the film The American

Le due stelle sono per Violante Placido

14. A Mann's Man's rating of the film The American

The ending troubled me, in its hackneyed use of the butterfly metaphor, but the preceding hour and a bit was a fairly masterful character study. As Cinemaray noted, Clooney's take on the assassin is definitely hinting at something like the great Melville's Le Samourai, a stoic and restrained free operator in the world of organised death.

15. Lee's rating of the film The American

I have only seen the first scene in this movie but that scene was incredible.

16. SP's rating of the film The American

I really enjoyed the mood, unusual to see this kind of filmmaking nowadays but didnt know what to make of the story with the woman...

17. Maximilian XXI's rating of the film The American

18. BrianFromConcentrate's rating of the film The American

I enjoyed it much more upon second viewing.

19. HAKKKED LOL's rating of the film The American

the scene with Violante Placido by the river reminded me of appolonia and lake minetonka in Purple Rain. I should see Purple Rain again. I love Purple Rain.

20. rado's rating of the film The American

The achievement in editing, composition and colour is astonishing. The somber idea that a craftsman who doesn't question the morality of his work is only making his own destruction, is very interesting. As if the photographer director questions the humanity of his craft.

21. pivic's rating of the film The American

Imagine Antonioni's "L'Avventura" without the suspense, the innovations, the tempo (or beautiful lack thereof), or, indeed, anything interesting, and you have this film. Clooney is a fair actor, but this is just void. I usually like films with a bit of space in them, but this is really just void and null. Avoid. Go for Corbijn's "Control" instead if you need his films.

22. mixn's rating of the film The American

This could’ve been amazing…

23. T.J. Royal's rating of the film The American

24. Checkpoint Charlie's rating of the film The American

Not groundbreaking but different in respect to Corbijn's style (still haven't seen "Control" yet) and Clooney's treatment of the assassin in a fashion more believable whilst still interesting, one that mutely exudes dread and alienation. The ending could've been done differently, which would've capped the film off better I think.

← Previous 1 3 4 5