1. darioscha's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

El cine como guerrilla y actividad política, las huellas del paisaje y la memoria; la negación de la identidad reflejado en May, Masao y la teoría del paisaje. notable documental

2. Yokna HASEGAWA's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

May and Adachi's lives,these're like a door,to the reality of not a few people but invisible or be kept silent or repainted.i felt something "opposite",Nega or Posi of this superficial world.But as Adachi said,there's only life of "Here" for each lives.though this film consists of only sounds of two people's voices,landscapes & a few footages,it's so vivid,even exciting.Because it's magical for me.but it's a reality.

3. Sin título.'s rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

Metraje por encargo que sirve de apoyo visual para llenar las imágenes faltantes de 27 años que por seguridad personal ante los conflictos del Estado fueron eliminadas de su formato físico y quizá hasta del recuerdo personal. Eric Baudelaire siempre logra empapar de intensa emocionalidad todas las apropiaciones que realiza.

4. Monica Gaona's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

Excelente forma de entrelazar dos historias a través del paisaje, más vivo que cualquier otro personaje.

5. antitezo's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

Narrative of the past made by todays words and landscapes. It's your imagination the one that will create not only the story, but the memory of the period.

6. Flor's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

Muy buen encuentro visual y auditivo entre la dualidad y el diálogo.

7. Srisha Haridas's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

An amalgam of images in reality, imagination and memory. Wonderful.

8. Matthew Wilhelm-Solomon's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

a documentary in which the 'here' in which the action happens is in the gap between image and voice, between the time of the film and the time of action, and the stories told are those of exiles at home

9. Rym's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

Great work, but I guess it would have been more powerful within the exhibition than in front of a computer's screen. And Eric Baudelaire speaks very well of his work. Interesting to read/listen how he explains it.

10. Thomas Kimmerlin's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

Très belle histoire se révélant subtilement au fil d'un montage aiguisé comme un couteau japonais.

11. Matthew Ross's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

12. Superfrog's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

good story telling, good images. A really pleasant experience out of something that could have been well dull.

13. DrFirestone's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

Very good! This film took me by surprise. I expected it to be political, instead it's a nostalgic recollection of old, distant memories and reflection on them. The 8mm format was a perfect choice, it adds up to the nostalgic feel of the whole. There isn't a fixed topic or "story" to follow, it's very loose. The footage goes back and forth between Beirut and Tokyo, I guess it reflects Adachi Masao's past and life...

14. Harriet's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

Like The Nine Muses, this documentary again is an example of experimental cinema that fails to create a solid, meaningful narrative that viewers can follow; I guess the point is that it's not meant to be 'followed' coherently, but in a more realistic, semi-conscious format - however I just don't enjoy watching such films. The images of an urbanised Japan were engaging and alluring - but the story? Not so much.

15. Squashua's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

Audiovisual memoirs of two artistic individuals with their fingertips almost at contact in a wartorn world of secrets and dispossession. When people talk about 'seeing your life flash before your eyes' this is how I imagine it would look - ghostly meandering fragments of nameless places once inhabited, symbolic objects once inconsequential and the narration of memories that may or may not have been all your own.

16. raggiodisole's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

This held my interest throughout, the dislocation of the protagonists echoed by the the dislocated images, and their stories were fascinating.

17. Allan Struthers's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

Global politics, art, subversive? Not necessarily. Personalities in exile demonstrate a relationship between governments and humanity as a resistant force, so for those that might query whether radical perceptions are in some sense irreconcilable with beauty, here's an answer.

18. Ivan Tan's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

an honest essay film that paints an authentic portrait of 2 dislocated characters.

19. SiIencio's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

A film that lacks definition & it is not clear what it aspires to. It is a convoluted collage of topics that barely scratches the surface. Visually it barely keeps track with the narrative. The film is less political than one would have expected bearing in mind its connexion with the notorious Japanese Red Army & this is arguably the missing link in the story. May's reflections are regrettably deeply insubstantial.

20. Emily Wood's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

The film is refusing to play

21. Ark V's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

An elegant journal of radical lives lived, a passage to nowhere and the next generation. The recently shot 8mm footage keeps us drifting between present and past, giving us an opportunity to consider our own relationship to contemporary politics. Told through a future-invisible voice of May and her film maker father who's films were buried with their struggle.

22. julianross12's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

My interview with Eric Baudelaire on the film for Vertigo: http://www.closeupfilmcentre.com/vertigo_magazine/issue-31-winter-2012-in-conversation/

23. slaepwerigne's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

"I pretend to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go." - emerson

24. Jorge Mourinha's rating of the film The Anabasis of May and Fusako Shigenobu, Masao Adachi and the 27 Years Without Images

The flipside of "Carlos": when romanticism can no longer hide the emptiness.